Carrie returns to LA

Slept in nice and late but got up in time to get some housework done since Carrie arrives today. I made brunch with eggs and the leftover spinach stuffing from the mushrooms last night, and celery with peanut butter. See how good I'm doing on South Beach?
Dylan and I went through a lot of our vinyl to weed out more, so I will probably be going through them in groups or one by one for my resolution log but need more time to organize before we take the records to Amoeba. We played quite a few records while we worked too, so it was fun.
Dylan went for a bike ride while I worked a little on Brad's video but then I got a sudden urge to work on a cover song. The song is "Hunters of the Night" which was Mr. Mister's first single and wasn't really a big hit; most people don't really know it because it was before Mr. Mister hit it big with "Broken Wings." I only know it from the best of album I had bought after moving to LA but was reminded of it last week by the Bottom Feeders blog (it peaked at #57 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1984). I laid down the basic frame of the song, verses and choruses, and sang some scratch vocals. It sounded really good, and I played it for Dylan when he got home and he said it sounded just like the real song. So, I have a lot to finish on it, but if I can get it done I will post it online for Valentine's Day and will be my first solo thing to be posted for the whole internet to hear.
Right after I recorded the song, I got another wild idea to try and "Jersey Shore" myself. I started by putting a wifebeater over another one (blue underneath, black on top), then a silver cross necklace, then the real challenge: the hair. I tried to do a blowout like Pauly D (my favorite) but it took forever, and my hair isn't long enough in the back to really make it work. And of course I didn't have any spray bronzer on hand so I couldn't get that nice orange hue. However, the effort was enough that when Dylan walked in he knew exactly who I was supposed to look like.
Carrie finally called and said she could meet us in WeHo at 7pm, so we got ready and started walking down there. We stopped and got Marc on the way and then we met Carrie and her classmates Julia and Caleb at Umai Sushi. They had just finished a moot court competition at UCLA and had placed in the top 8 so it was a good day for them. I had edamame and a sashimi plate, which for those who don't know is just raw fish (no rice). It was so yummy! I guess I probably wouldn't have been able to imagine eating, much less enjoying, a plate of raw fish back when I lived in Kansas but how times have changed.
Carrie, Dylan and I then went up to the valley to meet Bun for Rock N' Glow Bowling. He had already started bowling with his friends so we put our name on the list for our own lane and then played air hockey and videogames until we were called.
I actually bowled pretty well. Despite having worked at a bowling alley and even being on a bowling league, I've never really completely gotten very good at it. On my first ball tonight, I fell! It was so embarrassing, and it hurt my knee and my right hand a little bit. But, I ended up getting a 115 which, while not that great, was the highest score in our little group.
We were pretty tired by the time we got home, so we watched the Soup and then SNL, but Carrie fell asleep during the latter so we ended up turning it off after Weekend Update, which had another hilarious spoof of "Jersey Shore" with their guest "Snookie" (played brilliantly by Bobby Moynihan).

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 30
Escape Club - "Wild Wild West" 12" vinyl single. This song was huge back when I was in junior high, it was especially loved by my classmates and I as, looking back, it is a song that appeals more to a younger set maybe with the fun sound effects and the almost cartoon western sound of the music, and of course who could forget the video with the disembodied arms and hands clapping? In a very odd occurrence, Escape Club actually came to town and played at the Ellis County Free Fair in the middle of their prime (usually the acts that played the fair had long since "escaped" the limelight). I was VERY excited, as this was actually the first concert that I went to where I was actually a big fan of the band and they were currently on the radio. I even remember that they played one that they said was a "new song" and I felt so fortunate to hear it before it would inevitably become a big hit. The song was "Keep the Motor Running" and unfortunately it was not a hit - it didn't even make it on to the next album (which was one of the first CD's I ever bought). I do believe it was on the b-side of the single "I'll Be There" which did end up becoming a big hit; however, it ended up being the band's last. Many years later I found Trevor Steel online somehow (I think through their website) and he wrote me back a couple times and was very, very kind. He mentioned that he remembered playing at the Ellis County Fair and that they always had fun at those types of shows. Anyway, I am only getting rid of this record because I already have the full album on vinyl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!