Kraftwerk

Wow, I can't believe it's still raining!
Since Robin stayed with us last night, and somehow has a habit of always using my towel, I thought I'd be smart and take my towel out of the bathroom before I went to bed last night. I folded it ever so gently and placed it on my Yamaha keyboard next to the computer in our bedroom. However, when I got up in the morning to take a shower, my towel was gone! I went in to the living room and found it, damp, hanging on one of the dining room chairs. Turns out Dylan saw the towel and, thinking it was a clean towel, took it and used it. So, I had to get the last clean towel and use that one. Later, when I got home from work, I told Dylan what happened and said, "at least now I have a clean towel." Then he broke the news to me... that Robin used that towel too!
I have been on a Kraftwerk kick lately... I know that's neither here nor there but I'd be remiss not to mention it (if I haven't already). I have never gotten into Kraftwerk at all, I don't even own any of their albums. But, being a fan of the Human League and electronic music/synth pop in general, I've always heard about them and of course I've seen clips of them on various documentaries I've watched about the beginnings of synth music. They were always these sort of funny German guys standing there uncomfortably making weird music with strange instruments that they built themselves. Very primitive and avant garde looking. Well, now with the great website LaLa, I've been checking out a lot of old albums that I've always been curious about but never got around to buying or listening to, and after my friend Hoagie recommended I watch this documentary called "Synth Britannia" on YouTube, I decided to give Kraftwerk a chance. And Wow! Did they ever blow my mind. The music sounds like it could have been recorded by some cutting edge electro band like yesterday... it's just insane when you realize that it actually came out in the 70's. There is also a lot of intrigue and mystery surrounding the band, which is of course something I am a total sucker for. Apparently they don't do many interviews, and when they do they are often frustratingly vague or contradictory. And they've taken to sending robots in their likeness to their interviews and photo shoots. Oh, also, they basically hid away for most of the 80's and 90's. Anyway I've been listening to them a lot and thoroughly enjoying it. I guess that maybe it's just now that I can appreciate them, but their music alternates between sounding fresh, funky and retro, as well as beautiful, moving and driving. So many different feelings.
[deleted a whole mean section here about someone (a "nutty" person) who barely warrants a passing thought.]
Anyway we got home and watched some TV while I worked on animation for the Swivek video, and then Dylan and I walked over to French Market for dinner. We had a Curry Chicken Wrap and a Grilled Cheese (we split them both) and clam chowder. I have a fantasy that if I ever make enough money from musical ventures that I will have my own office on the 2nd floor of the French Marketplace. It would be so cute.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 22
Still mining the junk cabinet, I did away with many duplicate Shitting Glitter flyers, keeping only two of any given flyer. I already had made a Shitting Glitter flyer scrapbook, but I might have missed a few, so I'll stick these other ones in the scrapbook and hopefully one day will make a bigger on.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Wow, I have lots of comments to make...first, I finally caught up on all your recent blogs and very much enjoyed them. Second, I want to hear some of Kraftwerk's music, you made it sound worthy. Next, good for you not giving N.N. any blog time, we are all "so over" her. Next, for what it is worth, G and I usually choose the color of towel we want and stick to it. We also have separate dirty laundry, toothpaste, soap, shampoo...I think you get the picture.Its ok to want your own things and expect the partner not to use them. (its also ok to share). :)

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!