Shitting Glitter at Club Squeeze

Today was the big day of Shitting Glitter's first show of 2010 at Club Squeeze!
It was another rainy day, which of course I love but also most likely meant that not many people would be coming out to the show. In LA when it rains, people consider it "nasty weather" and then they don't go out. Which is funny because in other places, rainy days are the days when people do go out to bars. So many things are backwards here.
Anyway, I got home and had a few hours to kill getting ready. I flat ironed my hair and went through multiple wardrobe changes while listening to music. Several people texted me that they weren't going to be able to make it (for all kinds of reasons, no one actually said 'because of the rain'. A few of my friends couldn't make it because they were going to a gay rollerskating night (even though that ended almost a half an hour before our show time). I didn't care though, I was just excited for our first show with our new drummer, Laura.
I got to Universal Bar & Grill around 9:15 and I was the first one of our clan to show up. I had forgotten that it's actually a cool little place, with red velvet wallpaper and a little upper area with a fireplace. We have played there at least twice before; in 2003, we had our release party for the "Sexy Clown Circus" EP there and my parents and sister, as well as Dylan's mom, were all there and it was a really special occasion. It was also like the 2nd show that Marc was at, and his roommate Myles was there taping it. Another time we played there for Femmuse and we were interviewed for an Italian TV station. We never did see the footage but some girl from Italy had contacted us online later saying she saw us on TV so apparently it did air.
After awhile the rest of the band showed up and there was this cute girl, XiXi Yang, who told me she was there to interview bands for a website, All Entertainment TV, and that she had researched us. I was impressed, as she actually did know her stuff.
Our set went pretty well. It was the first time in years that we did a whole set completely live with no tracks, which was for logistical reasons since we didn't have much time to set up, and we haven't had time to get Laura up to speed on playing with the tracks. I completely blanked on "6 Underground" and forgot all the notes, which was embarrassing and sounded bad but it gave me an excuse to concentrate more on the vocals harmonies. That song will get better, I've only rehearsed it a couple times. The set list was: Legalese, 19th & Lexington, Full Release (new song), 6 Underground (cover), R So, and Slut Buffet. Slut Buffet was the only one that sounded a little "off" without the tracks. I'm so used to playing the remix version, and now we were playing a rock version of the remix, and maybe we should just go back to playing the original version if we're going to do it all live.
The interview afterwards was interesting, to say the least. We did it in a booth up in the upper area while the next band was playing. So, it was really loud and hard to hear. I hope the microphone picked everything up. XiXi had some really good questions for us, but it was difficult to know who should answer each one, and we had to pass the mic around and make sure we didn't start talking until we had the mic in front of us. I hope they edit it to make us look good. She said it would be online in a week or two.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 20
Continuing with my cleaning out of the junk cabinet, and in keeping with the Shitting Glitter theme, I will note here that I rid myself of countless duplicate copies of magazines that had articles featuring us. I usually say "better safe than sorry" but in this case, that has amounted to me saving tons of magazines, unknowingly keeping up to 5 copies of the same ones in some cases. So I weeded through them and decided to keep no more than 2 copies of any given magazine, which meant I tossed a lot of them. After I sorted them, I put the keepers into a box and my next step is to go through them all, remove the articles from the magazines, and put them into a scrap book.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I remember the venue well! It was a very fun time.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!