Youth in Revolt

It was raining even harder today. I love the sound of the rain outside my office. It's so rare that the days here in LA are anything but warm and sunny that I relish whatever other weather we get. I actually know people here who hate the rain and get all upset about it, or cold days, which is so funny to me.
When I got home from work, I noticed the repair man had been in and fixed the fan in the bathroom! It has never worked since we moved in, I just assumed it was old and out of commission. But recently, I had looked up in the sunlight and noticed all the paint was peeling off. It looked really bad, and I thought maybe there was a leak, so I notified our building managers and they said it was because the fan didn't work so the steam from the shower was condensing on the wall. Usually we don't shut the door all the way when we're showing but since Robin had been staying with us so much last year, the door would be shut a lot and it just really damaged the paint on the wall. Last weekend, the guy came to scrape the old paint off and repainted it, so that looks nice, and now the fan works. Having the fan in the bathroom ceiling feels so classy! I guess it's just cause usually when I go to people's apartments and they have an exhaust fan in their bathroom, their place is nicer than mine.
I had to kind of hurry because I was meeting Dylan at his work so we could see "Youth in Revolt" which was playing there for Film Group, which means it's free for us. Since his car was already there and it's a block from the North Hollywood subway stop, I usually take the train up there when I'm meeting him. It's really easy because I just walk from our apartment up to Santa Monica Blvd. (1 block), then to Fairfax (2 blocks) and get on the Metro Rapid Bus 780 (or the slower one, 217, that stops more often) which goes right to Hollywood/Highland where I get on the Subway. The bus got there right after I arrived at the stop, which is nice and only happens about once every 9 times you ride the bus, according to Dylan's calculations. Then, when I got to Hollywood/Highland, the train pulled up the second I got to the platform!
Dylan was waiting for me in the lobby but he wasn't done working, so he traded phones with me so I could play on his phone (he has a Palm Pre so it can access the internet, unlike mine) while I waited for him in the Theatre.
The movie was really good. I thought it was going to be from the previews, but I purposely tried to avoid reading much about the movie. I love Michael Cera from when he was on Arrested Development (and the movie Superbad too) and the scenario of him having a bad-boy alter ego seemed promising. I would recommend the movie because it had a lot of laughs but it was also engaging and had a lot of surprising moments. As far as teen-angst comedies go, this one was pretty good.
By the time we got home, all I really wanted to do was fold my laundry that I had started before I left, and watch TV. I'm starting to worry about how much TV I watch, surely it can't be good.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 19
Backtracking a little, I didn't have much time during the week to work on my resolution project. But, I slept in nice and late on Saturday and then attacked a dreaded area: the cabinet under the junk drawer in the kitchen! Everyone has a junk drawer, but we had to open an annex for ours in the large cupboard below the drawer, so for years there has been two deep shelves filled with who knows what. For the rest of this week, I will just count the vast items that I threw away for this project, which included "today's" purge, a novel called "Magic Time."

Comments

Scarlet said…
You have a drunk drawer? What is its preferred drink?
Devin Tait said…
Ha! I don't think it was the drawer that was drunk! I corrected it to what it should have said originally, which is obviously junk drawer (everyone knows my liquor cabinet is too big to fit in a drawer).

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!