The Mayor and Tiffany in one day

Today was kind of cool. I got up and showered and put on a suit and tie, which is not that usual for me. I usually despise having to wear a shirt, tie and jacket because normally the weather here is so hot and dreadful that I know I'm going to sweat all over it and look like a soppy dog by the end of the day. Today was nice; cool and cloudy, so I didn't mind the extra layers.
I went downtown around 10:30 am and made my way to the new LAPD headquarters, a lovely new structure on the corner of 1st and Main. It is huge and brand new, which is weird when you think about how broke the state and city are now. It must have been finished right before the economy and city budget collapsed. At the meeting, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa (who I met previously a few months before at a Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Business Leaders meeting) was there to introduce his new Deputy Mayor for Business Development and something else that I can't remember right now. They both spoke very eloquently, the Mayor and the new Deputy Mayor, and I felt impressed and a little more confident that our city will make it through these difficult times. They both had many interesting ideas of how to foster economic growth and financial stability for the city and the businesses that call it home.
After that I came back and took care of some paperwork and financial matters. My friend Tiger came to visit me at the office since he was stopping by the photo lab next door as he's got an exhibition coming up soon, in the Media District at the Gay and Lesbian Center.
After work, I went home and quickly got changed and ready to go back out, as I met Marc and Amy and we went to the California Entertainer of the Year pageant at House of Blues. It turned out to be a drag competition, and all the contestants were completely fierce! I knew some of them, including Chad Michaels, Detox, and Willem. All their routines and outfits were amazing, but I had my favorites of course. We had VIP tickets so we got to hobnob in the Foundation Room (free drinks) and got to watch the show from the balcony. We saw our old friend Darcy Monet there who is a fabulous singer and has sung back up with my girl Tiffany, who I did get to talk to in the Foundation Room (with her friend, Lisa Foxx) and I gave her a Shitting Glitter CD, but she performed too late and we had to leave before she took the stage! I still don't know who won, but it was an amazing night nonetheless.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 12
I adore Victoria Beckham, and consider her a fashion icon. So, I credit her with my epiphany that any article of clothing or accessory's amount of discomfort that it causes one to wear should be directly proportional to the elegance and cost of said item. In other words, if it's cheap and doesn't feel good, get rid of it; if it's glamourous but a little too tight for comfort, that's the price you pay. With that in mind, I went through my box of necklaces and threw away this one made of sisal or something similar with these plastic fake animal teeth or something. A long time ago, I had a cool metal necklace that was much like this one and lost it, so I think I bought this cheap dollar store replacement to make up for losing the other one. However, on the couple occasions where I did wear it, the fake teeth poked into my skin and the string itched and irritated my neck. There is no reason to continue to own a 99 cents store necklace that causes so much pain!

Comments

Scarlet said…
All caught up on your blogs and have enjoyed your log of things to get rid of in 2010. I don't know why your top 10 songs came up as the first blog earlier this evening, I hadn't seen it before tonight...weird!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!