Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

My first favorite band was The Thompson Twins. I don't know how or why. When I was at the age where someone decides that they have a favorite band, something about the Twins spoke to me and I just became obsessed. While many people quickly move on from the bands and artists they liked as a child, I am not one of those people. Thompson Twins are still a favorite of mine, but over the years, other bands have replaced them in the top spot. One such band, The Human League, has been with me for almost as long. They had been one of my favorite bands since I was about 12 or so, but they moved in to first place probably around the summer after my senior year in high school, when they released "Octopus." Here are all their studio albums ranked from least favorite, to favorite!

10. HYSTERIA 1984
The dreaded follow up
Considering they are my favorite band, I obviously wouldn't say Human League have ever made a totally awful album, but this one is definitely the closest to something I wouldn't normally listen to if it wasn't for the fact that my favorite band recorded it.  To my ears, it's the one where they went off course and had difficulties recovering.  They were trying to deal with the enormous success of the album Dare and its single "Don't You Want Me."  Something about it just makes me sad.  It doesn't sound good.  There are some good songs, but the choice of singles wasn't the best (none of them charted in the US except the lead single, "The Lebanon," which barely dented the top 40.)  The entire affair just sounds overwrought and uninspired.  I remember I was thrilled when I first found a used vinyl copy at GB Records, but when I got home and played it, I didn't recognize any of the songs, and I was sad. The packaging is also a little strange, since unless you open the gatefold, the band's name isn't clear from the front of the record. I do love the odd pieced-together band photo that takes up the inner gatefold, apparently shot at Philip's own house. Highlight: Lead single "Lebanon" showed a heavier, rock-inspired side to the band along with politically motivated lyrics. Perhaps the album would have been better if they had applied this new sound to a few more of the tracks.

9. TRAVELOGUE 1980
The sophomore album
I bought this album on cassette tape in Salina, Kansas, when I was in junior high, and at the time it just seemed weird to me.  It took me awhile to truly "get" this album and I can definitely say that I appreciate it now, but it's not something I listen to a great deal.  I love the reworked version of "Being Boiled," which I prefer over the original, and I think many of the sounds are very innovative and interesting, but overall I'm not sure how well everything jells together.  Some of the lyrics are definitely more than a little odd, which can be difficult to relate to.  I do adore the romanticism of the closing track, "W.X.J.L. Tonight" but always felt like the song itself didn't really live up to its potential. Highlight: It's hard to pick a favorite song, as none of them really stand out too much, but I do love the instrumental "Toyota City," and the drama of the song "Dreams of Leaving." Of the bonus tracks on the re-release version, I really love "Marianne."

8. REPRODUCTION 1979
The one that started it all
Yes, Human League is usually thought of as an 80s band, but they got started in the 70s with this album. I bought my copy on vinyl much later, as it had been re-released in the late '80's, at a great little record store in Vail, Colorado, on vacation with my family one summer.  I thought it was weird!  I don't know how else a kid could have described it.  It just sounded bizarre, like nothing else in my meager collection at the time, and definitely something I wouldn't want my classmates knowing that I was listening to.  But something about it was oddly appealing to me.  Listening to it now, it holds up surprisingly well, and although it set the path for Human League to pioneer electronic pop music, it also obviously influenced other genres such as industrial, electroclash and even goth. Highlight: Empire State Human has always been my favorite track from this album, followd by "Blind Youth," because they're two of the more upbeat, poppy moments.

7. CRASH 1986
The one where they sound like Janet Jackson
I'm pretty sure this was my first actual exposure to The Human League.  The song "Human" was a massive hit when I was 9 years old, which was just about the time I was old enough to really notice.  It wasn't until a couple years later when I borrowed the cassette from my friend Angie, and that's what set me out on my fandom.  I ended up buying copies for myself, and one for my aunt Sharon as a Christmas present.  It was always in the cut-out bins for cheap, probably because they printed so many copies as a result of "Human" being such a success, but the record label really bungled up any chances for other singles from the album by releasing the awful "I Need Your Loving" as the follow-up.  Not that it's really that terrible of a song for the time, but it didn't sound like them and it definitely wasn't one of the better songs on the album.  "Money," "Love on the Run," or "Love Is All That Matters" all would have been much better choices.  Again, despite a lot of flack that this one gets for being too much of a product of its producers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, it still actually holds up pretty well despite a few cringe-worthy tracks. Highlight: I do much prefer the League-penned tracks, and think "Love on the Run" or "The Real Thing" could have made a great second single, followed by "Are You Ever Coming Back."

6. ROMANTIC? 1990
Soundtrack to a Generation
This was the first Human League album that I bought when it came out, having only really discovered them after Crash had already been released. So while many people dismiss it, to me it's "MY" Human League album.  I can't remember anymore if I had already heard the single "Heart Like a Wheel" on the radio, of if I saw the CD while doing my normal record store rounds.  I do know that I bought it at Musicland in the mall in Hays, and I LOVED "Heart Like a Wheel."  I thought that it was the first album where they really showcased the girls' vocals, especially on the songs "A Doorway" and "Rebound." It was one of the first CDs I owned, so I listened to it a lot my 8th grade year, which was one of the best years of my childhood, so there's a lot of nostalgia around this album for me. Apparently there was an entirely different mix of this album which I may have preferred, because at times the production does sound a little cold. There are lots of good songs on here and its sad that it's often considered the band's nadir mainly because it wasn't in keeping with the popular music of the time. Highlight: The only thing better than Susan's gorgeous long hair was the lead single "Heart Like a Wheel" which I still love and have even covered when I've performed.

5. Fascination
Continuing the success of Dare
This isn't really an album, as it's only really 5 songs, but it was a huge part of the band's success in the US, following Dare and including the huge hit "(Keep Feeling) Fascination." While not really a hit here in the states, "Mirror Man" continues to be one of the band's most beloved singles, and I definitely prefer the version of "I Love You Too Much" included here rather than the reworked version that came later on Hysteria. I also really like the rawness of "You Remind Me of Gold" which is one of the more forgotten HL tracks. However, "Hard Times" is one of the most annoying tracks ever recorded. I don't know if it should even be considered a song since it's sort of just a riff on Susan's vocal from "Love Action." There are some really screechy synths in here and it's very repetitive. All in all, this collection's strength may be in it's lack of filler. It's a short listen, but a pretty fulfilling one. Highlight: Obviously, the title track.

4. DARE 1981 / LOVE & DANCING 1982
The huge hit and its remixed spawn
This is the band's best known album by far, and its success was only heightened by the release of "Love & Dancing," one of the world's first remix albums. In the UK, "Dare" was already a hit by the time of its release due to a string of three hit singles that had already released from it: "The Sound of the Crowd," "Love Action (I Believe in Love)," and "Open Your Heart." None of them really did much here, but the fourth single was "Don't You Want Me" and I think we all know how that worked out! This is a band at their highest point, having taken the anguish of losing two of their founding members, and turned it into inspiration and determination
to succeed. The band's first two albums had been disappointing from a commercial standpoint, but Philip had ideas about how he wanted the band to evolve, and Dare made it clear that he was on to something. The brilliant part was working with producer Martin Rushent, who was able to take Phil's ideas and make them come to life in the studio. This album was one of the first electronic, synth pop albums and set the standard for a whole generation of electronic musicians. My favorites have always been the moody "Seconds" and "Sound of the Crowd," and I also always get a kick out of the "synth battle" in "Do or Die." Highlight: "Seconds" has always spoken to me, so much so that in junior high when our music teacher allowed each student to bring one song to play for the entire class, this was the song I chose!

3. CREDO 2011
Night people, night night people
I love this album and am thankful that HL are still around making great music, but the lyrics don't speak to me on a lot of the songs, it feels short, and with the 10 year wait and build up it just couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. However, it was a very exciting time for me leading up to, and following, its release. This was the first new League music released in the age of social media and rapid information sharing, so as much as I tried to delay gratification of hearing the album in its entirety when it was released, it proved nearly impossible with YouTube clips of songs being performed live, certain online retailers posting song clips, and radio stations leaking new tracks and remixes. Every day seemed to bring a new piece of the puzzle, but it was still a great treat to listen to the entire album when I finally got my copy! I also was able to obtain almost everything that was officially released at the time it came out, including a 12" of lead single "Night People," and promo CD singles of "Never Let Me Go" and "Sky," along with a double-disc vinyl release which apparently is rare as the warehouse they were stored in caught fire shortly after. Highlight: "Never Let Me Go" makes this whole album worth it for me, but "Night People" is awesome, as is "Breaking the Chains."

2. OCTOPUS 1995
Is it called Octopus because it's their 8th album?
Probably the reason I rate this higher than Credo is that with Octopus I had no expectations built up in my head. I didn't even think Human League were still around, and then I heard "Tell Me When" and bought this album and was blown away. It was considered a "return to form" and was a huge comeback for the band, mainly in the UK, but to some degree in the US as well. It brings out the best qualities in the band, referencing back to their analogue roots, but with a shiny production that only sounds a little dated today. It's a solid, if short, album (of the 9 tracks, one is an instrumental throw-away with a silly title). Lyrically, it explores themes such as anti-nostalgia ("These are the Days") which is certainly pertinent for this band, as well as other topics that reflect the maturity of the band members, like "Cruel Young Lover" and "Never Again." Highlight: "Tell Me When" is still a great song, especially when performed live.

1. SECRETS 2001
21st Century League
I was hoping that Credo would overtake Secrets as my favorite Human League album, and I do love it, but Secrets is just pure perfection for me. Mostly it's the lyrics because I really think they are edgier, deeper and more poetic on this album than any other HL album. And the production is mind-blowing, and I love the instrumental interludes. Although the lead single, "All I Ever Wanted" is solid and modern-sounding, it didn't prepare me for the amazingness of the album, because it definitely sounds like a made-for-radio single. Sadly, radio didn't pick up on the song, and their record label went broke right after the release. It was really a shame because the whole "electroclash" thing was going on, and bands like Human League were experiencing something of a revival as a result, with many hip DJs at clubs throwing in early League singles among the crop of current electronic artists. The material was solid and could easily have been another big comeback for the band, but most people never knew about it. However, that didn't dampen my excitement or love for this album and to this day, it is easily my favorite. Highlight: "Reflections" is pretty much accepted as one of the creative high points on the album, while songs like "Never Give Your Heart" and "Shameless" are so full of human heartache mixed with cold synthesizers, the essential Human League sound!

Comments

Michael said…
Thank you for your considered opinions, which broadly speaking reflect my own.
Personally I would've placed Hysteria where you ranked Romantic.
The production on Hysteria didn't suit the League at all - the songs sound sparse, and even when it was released, people complained at the time that synths sounded outdated (in 1984)!
As you say, if you compare the production of Martin Rushent on the track 'I love You Too Much' included on the Fascination EP, with the version of that song on the official Hysteria follow up, it's obvious the band really missed his studio production abilities.
Nevertheless there are some really good songs on Hysteria 'Louise', 'The Lebanon', 'Life on Your Own', and 'So Hurt' are especially good. However the tracks 'Rock Me Again' and 'Don't You Know I Want You', are just plain awful. Had they have deleted those tracks and included the singles 'Mirror Man' and 'Fascination', it would've been a very strong album - and rivaled Dare! as a classic album of the 1980s.
Anyway greetings from the UK!

Popular posts from this blog

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!