Up In The Air

Today is the last day of vacation, tomorrow it's back to work. Sad face :(
We slept in until after noon (yikes!) and then got up and watched TV and laid around for awhile, packing up our things and getting Brad and Alf's apartment cleaned back up for them. We finally left around 3 and went back home to change clothes.
We went to the Century City mall which was extremely busy! It was very difficult to find a parking spot, and we were already running a little late for the 4:50 showing of "Up in the Air" that we wanted to see. I was really hungry too. As it turned out, that showing was already nearly sold out and we would have had to sit in one of the front three rows, so we got tickets for the 6:55 show. That gave us plenty of time to eat (we had Hawaiian chicken at Rotisserie Works) and then browse at the Container Store and Borders.
The movie was excellent! I didn't know too much about it before going in, which is the way I like it. I did know it had been getting Oscar buzz, and since Dylan and I like to get into the Oscars every year I wanted to try and see more movies before the nominations are announced next month (I knew Dylan wanted too also).
When I got home, Brandon had sent me a new mix of "Alien Nation" and I sent him my notes, then I worked a little on "Not in a Million Years" and "Meet Me in Atlantis," a brand new song that I'm going to be collaborating on with my friend the Ukulady. I'm hoping to get a demo done to send her soon.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 3
General Music SX2 Keyboard Owner's Manual
Perhaps one of my greater purges occurred last fall when I finally parted with my General Music SX2 Keyboard, bestowing it on my friend Jeff from the Albuquerque-based band Vertigo Venus. I had bought the SX2 back in the very early Shitting Glitter days, after my beloved 88-key Oberheim Eclipse was stolen from the backseat of my car in Amy's gated parking garage. It was $300 at Black Market Music, a used instrument store on LaCienega which is no longer in business. It was always a very heavy, cumbersome instrument that was difficult to lug around and even more difficult to program, but it did lend some magic to early SG tunes like "Goddess Room" (which took full advantage of the pitch bend wheel) and even the ballad "The Amnesty Party" from Free Alongside Ship. For awhile, it stopped working and I was lucky enough to convince my friend Denny, who was playing bass with us at the time, to float me the money for the keyboard I really wanted, the Roland RS-5, which I still use as my main gigging keyboard to this day. I stuck the SX2 under my bed, and when I dug it out later it miraculously worked again.
Eventually it came to gather dust and take up a considerable amount of space in our living room and Dylan kept begging me to get rid of it. When Vertigo Venus came to LA last fall and played several shows with us, Jeff told me he had gone through 2 keyboards on their tour already and they were left with none. I asked if he would want the SX2; he said "sure" and the rest is history.
Tonight in looking through my stuff to see what I could get rid of, I found the owner's manual to the keyboard, so I will either mail it to Jeff if he hasn't already gotten a copy for himself, or just toss it.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Did you enjoy "Up in the air"?

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!