Who you callin' a ho?

I had a lot of stuff going on today.
First, I got up and around so that Dylan and I could go get his bike from my office since he had left it there when we went to Tiger's show on Thursday.
Rick and Melodie were working on some cut-away shots for the Invisible Material video and they needed my bass drum so we went there first, as Brandon was already there with his guitar and amp. They were up on the roof filming the shots. When they finished, they invited us down to their apartment to see a rough cut of the video. It was amazing! I can't wait until it's finished and we can show everyone.
Then we went to my office and I got his bike, riding it down the sidewalk to where Dylan was waiting with my car. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever ridden it. It was pretty fun, actually.
From there, he biked home and I went to Guitar Center on Sunset. They were supposed to be having a big grand re-opening of their drum shop, and I desperately need a ride cymbal and a crash. I thought they might be having some really good sales, and I had timed my visit to hopefully avoid one of the guest speakers. However, when I got there, some guy was talking about drums and there were all these people and chairs set up, making it look like getting over to the cymbal area would be impossible. I went downstairs to the DJ room to get record cleaning supplies that Dylan had given me money to pick up, and when I went back up to the drum room the guy was still talking. So I just squeezed my way through the crowd over to the drum room, but really only the expensive drums were on sale, so I decided just to get outta there.
My last stop was the grocery store, the "Rock & Roll Ralph's" on Sunset. I had to get all my ingredients and supplies for the MegaPiranha party tomorrow night and I tried to get enough groceries to also get us through the rest of the week. I ended up spending almost $100 which is always a little stressful when you're watching the total climb higher and higher at the register.
Despite the cash I just dropped at the grocery store, I decided I was really hungry and didn't want to have to deal with making anything when I got home, so I went to the Veggie Grill to get lunch/dinner. I called Dylan to see if he wanted any but he had already eaten after his bike ride.
Back home, I just had a little time to relax before I had to start getting ready for our show. We wanted to go to FUBAR first for the happy hour; a new club called Duke is opening tonight and the pre-party was 7-10 so we figured we'd hit that before our show. Marc came and met us and for awhile we were the only customers in the place, but by the time we left, more people had started to trickle in.
Yesterday I had made a sad discovery that Natasha Shneider from the bands Eleven and Walk the Moon had died last year. I first discovered Walk the Moon when I was about 10 or 11. We used to go shopping at this store called TG&Y in Russell which was like a smaller version of a K-Mart. They didn't have an actual music section, but they did have this trough full of $1 cassette tapes. Most of them were stuff that people had never really heard of; cut-outs of albums that had not been as successful as the labels had hoped. Nevertheless, I was a broke farm boy and for $1, I was willing to take some risks. Walk the Moon's cassette was one of the risks that had paid off, because I actually liked most of the songs on there. I never really found out anything about the band until years later when I moved to LA and saw the album in a record store, sparking my interest to look them up online. It turned out they had only released that one album under the name "Walk the Moon" and then changed their name and their sound, resulting with the new band, Eleven. I picked up one of their CD's at a sale at Aron's Records in Hollywood and ended up really enjoying it, so I bought another one of their CD's later. Anyway, I was looking online to see what they were up to and discovered that Natasha passed away in the summer of 2008 from cancer. So, I'm a little behind but I was saddened to finally read the news. She was a very talented musician and vocalist and she will definitely be missed. To pay tribute, I put in their CD "Avantgardedog" on the way to our show at Celebration Theatre.
Shitting Glitter was opening for the Wendy Ho show again. Wendy is a character created by Wendy Jo Smith, who coincidentally enough went to high school in Olathe, KS, where my parents live. The character is a white girl who talks like a black girl, and is proud of being a "ho." She tells many stories about growing up in a trailer park, and her struggles being a "ho" and many of her stories are very dirty. Her songs are also funny and tie in with the stories. I enjoy watching her show a lot and I'm so glad she asked us to open for her again.
After the show, we loaded the car up, went back home, and then back out to Fubar. Jason and Luther were there with Marc so we had a drink and hung out until closing time, and for the last song, the DJ played Wendy Ho's "Fuck Me" which was the song she had just closed her show with! It was a nice way to end the evening.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 98
"I'm Your Man" by Wham, 12" Vinyl single. I do love this song, but in narrowing down my vinyl collection, I've decided that a 12" single with no photos on the sleeve and no rare b-sides or songs I don't already have on the regular album are pretty dispensable. I gave it to Angie since I knew she loves the cheesiness of Wham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!