Action Heroes and Lou

Tiger had a new show opening at Grey Tone photo, which is right down the street from my office, so Dylan and Brandon both came over after they got off work since they haven't seen my "new" office since it's been recarpeted and refurnished. I was happy to show off my new digs to them.
Then we walked down the street to Grey Tone. We were the first people there besides Tiger, Don (the owner, who used to be one of my Board Members at the Media District) and the bartender. People started trickling in soon, though. He was showing his Action Figure series, which are photos of little plastic toy dolls shot really close up and then blown up really big. He started a decade ago or so, with these army guy action figures, zooming in on their faces to show what image we are giving to children as what "masculine" means, and then he began collecting all different types of little action figure toys and taking portraits of them all. There was a wide variety, from female dolls to wrestlers to heroes like Superman.
At one point, the Superman and Batman characters from Hollywood Blvd. showed up for photo ops. It was a funny touch, but I steered clear of the Superman because I recognized him as a former client when I used to deliver groceries from Yummy. He and his wife or girlfriend (I don't know which she was) would order TONS of groceries, late at night, and then leave a tiny tip. If anyone should know the importance of tipping, you'd think someone who makes a living by dressing up like a superhero to get tips from tourists wanting photos with him would.
After the show, Dylan and I were starved and we had talked about either going to Grub or Cafe Muse, two of my favorite places to eat in the Media District. But then I remembered that Lou was right around the corner on Vine Street and I had always wanted to go there with Dylan but it had never happened. Now that we were right there it was the perfect excuse! Lou is this little wine bar/restaurant tucked into the corner of this nondescript strip mall. There used to be a Thai Food restaurant in the same spot that I used to have lunch at. Anyway, the ambiance was incredible - once you walked in, you totally forgot you were in a strip mall. The waitress was so friendly and made some great recommendations. I had a red wine and Dylan had a white, and then for 'supper' (I said the waitress must be from the midwest since she called it supper, but then Dylan pointed out that that's what it said on the menu) I had a smoked trout salad that was delicious and Dylan had a short rib and pasta dish. It was very yummy and I would recommend it to anyone who likes wine and a great meal.
We stopped by Pavilions on the way back to my car and got some ice cream, I found a skinny cow brand Dulce de Leche that only had 150 calories and actually tasted great.
When we got home, we watched Project Runway (not the new one, we're still 3 episodes behind!) and then went to be early - well, 11:30. That's early for us.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 96
"Room at the Top" by Adam Ant, 12" vinyl single. This was actually the first Adam Ant song that I really fell in love with, prompting me to purchase my first Adam Ant album, Manners and Physique. I think I actually saw the video on MTV first. I had already bought a 7" single of "Goody Two Shoes" before but this was sort of a comeback album for him since he hadn't been in the spotlight for awhile at this point (late 80's).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!