Taking Loyola Marymount and Woodstock

I woke up as early as I could because I had to load up the car and get to Loyola Marymount University, where Shitting Glitter was going to perform at a Marriage Equality Rally. I had to get there early though because the opening act, two high school girls from Santa Monica, needed to borrow my keyboard.
The campus is beautiful and it was a perfect day, but I was slightly disappointed with the turnout - I thought there would be way more people on a college campus, especially considering that there had been a good deal of controversy around the event as it is a Jesuit College and the administration had threatened to cancel the event, sparking accusations of homophobia which turned out to be false (suposedly) as the concern revolved more around the volume level than the purpose of the event.
The rally got off to a very late start and there were quite a few bands and speakers, so before we even played our set was already cut down to 15 minutes, and Red texted that she wouldn't be able to make it due to having to work late, which sucked since she actually graduated from LMU. By the time we played, something weird was going on and we did not put on our best performance. Luckily we only had time to do 4 songs and then the event was over.
Back home, I unloaded some of the car but didn't have the energy to bring up the big pink speaker, although I was nervous all night about leaving it in the backseat of my car.
Dylan and I ended up watching "Taking Woodstock" which was a really awesome movie. We both really loved it. I have mixed feelings about Dimitri Martin usually, especially his Comedy Central show "Important Things" which I find to alternate between funny, boring, and offensive. But, he was great in this film as a sort of repressed young gay man who struggles to help his parents with their dilapidated hotel (which he refers to as an "international resort") in upstate New York. When he reads about the Woodstock Festival being kicked out of a neighboring town just weeks before it was set to happen, he persuades the promoters to move the festival to his parents' property, which ultimately doesn't pan out but he negotiates a deal with a nearby farmer (Max Yasgur - played by a brilliantly low-key Eugene Levy) and the rest, as they say, is history, although told in a way that we have yet to hear it. I've always been marginally interested in the lore surrounding Woodstock (having a very pivotal partying weekend of my own which those of us who were there dubbed "woodstock weekend" in my late teens) but this movie really humanized it and brought it very close to home, especially since the main character is gay. After doing some research online, I'm not sure how true everything in the movie was, but it was a fascinating watch nonetheless.
After the movie, we tuned in to Saturday Night Live hosted by Gabourey Sidibe (from the movie "Precious") and featuring musical guest MGMT, but Dylan was about to fall asleep before it was over so we turned it off and went to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 112
"Dirty Dancing" Soundtrack, cassette tape. This was NOT mine as I was never into "oldies" when I was a kid, and I never cared for this movie. This was either my mom or sister's which got mixed in with mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!