Megapiranha Party!

The big day of my MegaPiranha party had arrived! To make sure we had enough energy for the day, I made a really good brunch - Breakfast Burritos filled with eggs, cheese, soyrizo, and veggies; plus homemade hash browns. After brunch, I went out to BevMo to get the liquor for the party since I hadn't had time to do it yesterday. I got Skyy Ginger vodka and Pink Grapefruit liqueur to make my 'flaming redhead' cocktails.
Once I got home, I finished cleaning and getting the apartment ready, and the started preparing the food. I was making Panko Breaded Fish Sticks out of the Bon Appetit magazine so I breaded them ahead of time and put them in the freezer. I had used Halibut, which the recipe called for, but it was really kind of expensive so I also got some Swai and Catfish.
Guests started arriving around 7pm so I started setting out the appetizers; I had made steamed artichokes, and put out oysters, shrimp cocktail, chips and salsa. Then I started frying up the fish sticks after all the guests had arrived and everyone had a drink in hand. The fried up really easily. I've had trouble breading and frying certain things in the past but this was really simple. As I started putting them on the table and people started to dig in, the raves started coming back to the kitchen. My brother Brandon was especially thrilled with them. I had made a tartar sauce to go with them, and when I got a chance to finally try them, they were delicious! I was so happy with how everything turned out.
Shortly after 8, we decided to start the movie. It had actually premiered yesterday on the SyFy channel but I DVR'ed it for the party since I was busy yesterday. "MegaPiranha" is a "nature gone wrong" movie, as Marc calls them, wherein a strain of huge man-eating fish are somehow let loose in the Amazon and are headed towards Florida. It was goofy of course but really fun. Tiffany did a really good job, in the first real acting role I've ever seen her in (she was the voice of Judy Jetson in the big screen adaptation of the classic cartoon in the late 80's).
The party was a huge success and everyone had a really fun time. I had made a contest to see who could guess how many humans were eaten by the mega-piranha in the movie, and whoever got closest won a prize, which was the poster we had used to track the kills and everyone's guesses, and two 7" singles by Tiffany, her two #1 singles: "I Think We're Alone Now" and "Could've Been." Rebecca won as her guess, 27, was just short of the number we had come up with, although there was a little debate about how to keep track. I had decided the people had to be seen on screen and then it had to be seen that they would perish from the fish, but there were sometimes when the fish would attack a group of people and you wouldn't necessarily see them die. But, I decided it counted if there was a character that you saw, and then you saw the fish destroying the boat or whatever it was the people were in and you knew that the people would die. So, by that we all agreed that 28 characters perished due to the fish in the film.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 99
"I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany, 7" single. As mentioned above, I awarded the winner of the MegaPiranha guessing game with two vinyl singles by Tiffany, and this is one of them. What I didn't mention is that I actually, for whatever reason, already had two copies of both of these singles. I usually end up with duplicates of records or CD's because I sometimes find them really cheap and buy them just in case I don't already have it (it's difficult to remember) or if the one I find might be in better condition than the one at home. But anyway, a little about this song - many of you who know me will already know that this was my first introduction to Tiffany (as it was for most people) back in the fall of 1987, when I was 10 years old. I didn't actually buy the 7" single at the time; my parents and friends had not really been into singles, as they were already pretty much on the way out. I did see it at K-Mart and thought about buying it but I ended up just getting the album on cassette tape. Soon after, cassingles came out, and the subsequent singles from Tiffany's debut were released as cassingles with non-album b-sides, so I collected all them. It wasn't until much later, either in college or possibly after I moved to LA, that I started collecting Tiffany's 7" singles.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I get exhausted reading about all the things you do in one week! But I'm so glad you take the time to write about it, I would be so sad to miss out on all the excitement!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!