April Fools

The day started on a very bizarre note. I had gotten a phone call while I was still asleep and heard the voice mail alert. So when I got up, I played the message. It was Amy, saying that AJ had gone in for a Doctor's appointment because she had stomach pains and that the office had called Amy and said it was serious and that they had to take AJ to the hospital and she would probably need to stay overnight. I was, of course, very worried about AJ but I was also pretty uncomfortable that I was probably going to have to call Ad Nauseam records and tell them we would not be able to play tonight. We had already rescheduled the gig once because Amy's shoulder surgery had been scheduled for the morning of the date we were supposed to play there the first time.
Anyway, I got to work and called Amy back and she said she was about ready to go down to Orange County to be with AJ in the hospital and find out what was going on. But then, just a few minutes later, Amy IM'ed me to say that the doctors office had called her back, and said that actually nothing was wrong, that AJ was just pregnant. Obviously she knew that was a prank, and it turned out the whole thing was an April Fool's joke! Very, very odd. Maybe people who work in doctor's offices have to have sick senses of humor, but this was really over the line. From what Amy said, AJ was not even in on the prank, so whoever made the decision to call Amy and say that her partner was going to have to go the hospital was really ballsy.
Anyway, I made it through the rest of the day without any other April Fools jokes. Apparently, Anna Paquin from True Blood came out as a bisexual today and it wasn't a prank, but who knows. She's dating the guy who plays her vampire lover on True Blood so it's sort of irrelevant anyway, but I do think it shows how far we've come when a popular female actress can just come out as bisexual and show her support for gay rights.
After work, Laura and her friend Andy came over as we were getting ready for the show. It's so much less stressful for me to get ready for shows nowadays since I have less to worry about as far as the set up goes, but I did still have to bring a PA for this gig since it was in a small record store/fashion boutique.
We got to the store, which is on Highland just north of the BID boundary. I had met the people who run the store a long time ago at this club Diamond Dogs that was at H'Wood for awhile. Also, our old friend Job was one of the DJ's so that was cool.
While we were setting up, I moved one of the PA speakers in a weird way and pulled my back again. That was not fun. But, the set ended up being really great! Quite a good crowd came out and we made several new fans, and I was thrilled that Myles came to film us for the first time in ages, and MQ was there too and I haven't seen here forever. We stayed quite awhile after the show just to hang out.
This guy Danny had come to watch us and he is starting a new club called Erotic City downtown at La Cita on Sunday nights, and he asked us if we would play there. I've been to La Cita for the build your own bloody mary day on Sunday once, and I know they have some trendy club nights there so I was excited about it, and even though it was really short notice (he asked us to play this Sunday) I said we would do it.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 89
"Live Zabor" by the Sugarcubes, VHS tape. This was a live compilation video of the Icelandic band fronted by Bjork released around the time of their second album. I love, love, loved this tape when I was in junior high. I watched it way too often. I think that is where a big part of my fascination with Iceland came from although I was already pretty obsessed by that point anyway. Again, it's hard for me to get rid of this even though I now have a much nicer DVD copy of it and really have no use for a VHS tape anymore but it's sentimental to me.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Hmmm, glad nothing was wrong with AJ...I agree someone pulled a nasty joke on you guys!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!