Recurring Dreams (Nightmare Symbols)

A few years ago after my grandma Irene had a stroke and was moved to a care facility, my aunt Sharon called me to say she had found a cassette tape in my grandma's belongings of a song that I had recorded for her when I was younger. She didn't know much about the song, but said that my grandma loved when she played it for her, and she wondered if I could put it on a CD if she mailed it to me. I decided to take it one step further, and re-record the song, since the original version was something I had done in high school with a cheesy keyboard, using one of it's pre-set beats. I wanted to do a classier version with the new technology that I had obtained and the skills I had honed since high school.
After reworking the song, which may or may not have been originally written by my grandma (I'm sure she wrote the words but I don't know who composed the music), I had intended to record a whole set of songs based off of my grandma's poems. Unfortunately, although I did write music for several of her poems, I never ended up completing the project before she passed away. I did nearly finish one song called "Be Not Afraid" which they played at her funeral.
"Recurring Dreams (Nightmare Symbols)" is a song I made using two poems that I found in my grandma's journal. People have commented that it represents my grandma's darker side, which may be true, but the way she wrote it definitely also had her whimsical flair. I tried to carry that on in the arrangement of the music, balancing the dark with the light.
Here are the lyrics; the first half I believe was the poem 'Nightmare Symbols' and the last half was 'Recurring Dream' although I might have switched them around.

Recurring Dreams (Nightmare Symbols)

Sinking into the soft pillow of the night I relax

Then the weird images appear

Why can’t I escape? I’m trying to run

But I creep along like someone very aged

Recurring dreams, with your haunting theme

Shuffling down the corridors

The nightmarish fantasy closes in

And I am overtaken, helpless and shaky

Then suddenly I awake into a pleasant realm

Safe and secure

Recurring dreams, with your haunting theme

Recurring dreams, what do they mean

I wish, recurring dreams, that you’d depart from me

Instead you will linger, like the burning embers

Of a slow fire, do you never tire?

Of painfully, unceasingly eating away

Until all is black

Crumbling ashes save for a few searing flashes

To relight the trash and set the vicious cycle aflame


Recurring Dreams (Nightmare Symbols) by Devin Tait

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!