Mac's in the Shop

I had an appointment at the Genius Bar, at the Apple Store, in the Grove, on my lunch break. Damn that's a lot of prepositions! Anyway, the appointment was at noon so I went home and got my computer and went to the Grove and the guy at the Genius Bar looked at my computer and pretty quickly determined that the hard drive had gone bad, so I would need a new one. He said that they could give me a new one there, but that they do not recover data and I wouldn't get my old hard drive back. He advised me to go to a third party place and have the data recovered and the drive replaced, which he said should cost around $200-250.
I left and went to go take my computer to a repair shop on Santa Monica and LaCienega which the guy had recommended. The only problem was, I didn't remember there being any repair shop in that area. I called Marc, and he didn't know of any either, so I called Brandon to have him google it. He gave me a couple addresses but neither one of them seemed to pan out so I just ended up going to Mac Horizons in the Media District. The guy there said it would be $235 to put in a new hard drive (500 GB so it's way bigger than I had before) and that to recover the data it would be "minimum of $45." Well that didn't give me too much of a clue of how much it might actually be and he didn't seem to be in a mood to talk much. He did show me a stack of bad hard drives he had taken out of old macs but he didn't indicated how many of them he had been able to save the data on. I'm so upset with myself for not backing up. I literally had an external hard drive with probably a couple hundred GB free right next to my computer and I never though of backing up. I'm mainly irritated about my solo album - all the files were on there and I was "so close" to finishing it. But I'm also sad about all our pictures. As far as the iTunes go, I'm not too upset about that other than the songs I bought in the iTunes shop and didn't back up, but I don't think there's too many of those.
After work I went to Target to get some new drumsticks, and stopped at BevMo and got some beer, before heading up to Ben's house. Even though I didn't stop at home, I still got there at about the same time I usually do, thanks to my shopping spree. I picked Robin up on my way at the Orange Line bus stop on Victory and Balboa.
Rehearsal was really good. Brandon brought his new 8 track digital recorder so we could get recordings of the songs that we haven't already recorded. He tried it last time but it didn't quite work out. This time seemed like it was set up much better. Ben was so nice; he had tweaked my drum set up and made it much easier for me to play.
Roxy was grilling hamburgers for dinner, but Dylan reminded her that I'm not eating meat, and I said I could get something on the way home but she ended up grilling fish for me which was so nice of her, and it was SO delicious! She also made a potato salad that had bacon in it which I went ahead and ate because the pieces were so small.
We left rehearsal and Dylan was driving us down White Oak Avenue in the valley when he pointed out The Copper Bucket, which is the bar his brother Sean hangs out at, and where he had met his wife Jennie. We decided to stop in and see if he was there, and he actually was! He looked very surprised to see us. We hung out with him and some of his friends for awhile and then we headed home to watch some TV before going to sleep.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 97
"True Blue" by Madonna, 12" Vinyl Single. True Blue is not one of my favorite Madonna songs. In fact, I always kind of resented it, because Human League's "Open Your Heart" came out first but was not nearly as big of a hit in the US, so when people hear that title they would automatically think of Madonna's version. Damned Madge!

Comments

von said…
lando does data recovery remember? you should have him work on it.. if it's an easy recovery, i'm sure he'd do it free. also maybe get a time machine.. jessica has one, 500gb, and backs up automatically. it also works as the airport..

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!