Easter and Erotic City

When I was a kid, Easter meant going to church and talking about Jesus being reborn (sometimes we even had to go to the "sunrise service") and then we'd go home and get baskets full of candy. When I was really young, we'd go to the Paradise Park for an easter egg hunt put on by the 4-H club members who would hide plastic eggs full of candy and, if you were lucky enough to find them, money. As I got older, I was in the 4-H club so then I stuffed and hid the eggs. Full Circle.
Nowadays, I'm an atheist and don't have any kids so Easter is the one holiday that I usually forget about until the day of, and therefore forget to even put up the decorations (yes, I do own Easter decorations). But this year we were invited to Dylan's Aunt Renee's house for Easter Sunday and we were excited since there would be kids there (and free food). It was really fun, we got to watch the kids color easter eggs and then the adults hid them and the kids had an easter egg hunt in the backyard. Marci, a family friend, had made a delicious French Toast Casserole and there were eggs, potatoes, bagels and lox, etc. A very nice day, and there was a big earthquake but we were so far up in the valley that we didn't even feel it.
On the way up there, we had stopped at the drug store so we could make a basked for Michaela, Dylan's cousin Shady's daughter. I knew she would already have gotten tons of easter baskets from other people, but I wanted one of them to be from us at least, so I found this cute little easter box that looked like a chinese take out container, and we got some paper grass and a few cute little things to put in it. We had to put Dylan's mom up in Burbank on the way, it was the first time I had been to her new place but we didn't go inside.
When we got home, we laid down for a little nap and then we had to get ready to go downtown. Shitting Glitter was playing the opening night of Erotic City, a new 80's/electro club at La Cita. We did a sound check around 9:30pm and it all sounded good. We didn't end up playing until 11:30pm or so but it was worth it because everyone was dancing and cheering when we played, it was a really good crowd and we played a really good set: "Slut Buffet," "Legalese," "Words," "Milk Money" and "Full Release."
Driving back home, I mentioned to Dylan how much better it felt to be leaving downtown late at night after a good show, as opposed to a few years ago when we played at Live Jazz Cafe and the only people there were the employees and the other band.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 92
Tinky Winky, the Purple Teletubbies character doll. This was a little (about 10" tall) rubber doll of the character from the kids' show who was famously outed by Jerry Fallwell in 1999 (he claimed the character was a homosexual role model for children). I found the doll at the Dollar Tree so I bought it to show my support and I thought it made a kitschy little novelty knick-knack. But I'm trying to cut down on the amount of those type of things and since I've never even seen an episode of the Teletubbies I really can't justify hanging on to this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!