Paint the wall green, the town red

I got up fairly early and started my big project - painting the living room wall. We've painted several walls in our apartment, but this is the biggest wall. It's right to your right when you walk in the front door and extends from there all the way to the far wall, so it's basically the entry way/dining room/living room wall, and there is a huge mirror hanging from it, a huge painting, all the records and the record player are on a shelf against it, as well as the TV and the easy chair. So getting ready to paint it was no small task. I had to move everything to the other side of the living room, remove everything hanging from the wall (which besides the aforementioned mirror and painting also included at least 5 more framed items). Once I got everything out of the way and removed all the switch plates, I was about to tape the corners when I realized we had no tape! I walked down the street to Tashman's Hardware, which I was excited about because I've never been there and I wanted to support my nearest local hardware store, since the one on the block where I live closed down a few years ago.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was Yom Kippur, so the hardware store was closed. I ended up having to walk up to Rite-Aid to get the tape.
When I got back, I grabbed a stack of extra advertising circulars that are always piled up in a box in our lobby, since I was too cheap to buy drop cloth. I got the wall all taped up and the carpet lined with papers and finally it was time for the fun part - the actual painting!
It went very quickly. The color was a very light green, pale and very subtle, but really pretty. It was the last of the leftover paint cans I had snagged after we finished the shoot of the "Grown Man Cries" video back in March. Free paint!
It only took 2 coats, and because it was a pretty warm day it dried really quickly. I used the whole can. It looked great, and before long it was all dried so I moved everything back and cleaned the whole apartment until it just looked amazing. I was so happy with my job.
That night, Jason came over and we hung out, probably the first time we've ever just hung out one-on-one. Luther and Andrew were supposed to meet us at the same time but - and this will surprise no one - they were running late, so it was fun to just chill with Jason. Luther and Andy showed up eventually and then we went to Fubar and met Rob there. We had a drink or two there but it wasn't really happening there so we went down to Motherlode to meet Viktor and Bradley. We ended up staying there until closing time and then went back to my place for an after-party, as Brandon and Angie met us there since they were just down the street at their old apartment. Tiger ended up coming too, but by that time I was getting pretty tired. I remember watching an episode of "Strangers with Candy" on DVD and nodding off at some point, so I finally got up and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, Brandon, Angie and Tiger were still there but were getting ready to leave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!