Double Feature

Ben and James came and picked me up and we went to the Grove to see "Easy A," a comedy movie with Emma Stone (from Zombieland) which turned out to be really good. The plot revolves around Olive (Stone) making up a white lie to explain why she didn't want to hang out with her girlfriend one weekend, by saying she had been hanging out with a guy and when her friend presses her, pretends that she lost her virginity to the guy. The whole thing takes a very "Scarlet Letter" turn as the entire school instantly spreads the rumour, via text messaging, that Olive has become a big ol' slut. Due to this, she then agrees to help out a fellow student, a gay kid, who is relentlessly bullied, by pretending to have sex with him. This leads to many losers seeking her out and making deals with her, usually involving money, to pretend to have sex with her. Of course the whole thing escalates to comic proportions until something really bad happens and it all blows up, leaving Olive to figure out how to sort the whole mess out and still come out with her dignity intact. Stone was such a delight in the film, I kept getting reminded of how much I enjoyed Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls and how this was at least as good as that. I love Lindsay and probably always will, but if Stone is going to be able to fill the void left by Lohan now that she is in no place to be a competent actress, I'm not going to complain.
After that, I got so curious about the movie "Catfish" that I decided I just had to know what the big "surprise" was. My grand plan was to walk to the ArcLight and watch it by myself, but then I realized I really needed to go pick up the old bass speaker from Candece, Amy's old roommate, so I drove my car instead.
I ended up really enjoying the movie, although I was initially bummed out that the "surprise" was completely not what I had been expecting. It was nevertheless fascinating and extremely modern and poignant... very "of the moment."
I called Dylan afterward, he is of course having a great time hanging out in Portland with Kevin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!