Germans for lunch, Mexican for dinner

I had been contacted by a group of German geography students awhile back who were visiting the US and wanted to tour the BID, so today was the day they arrived in Hollywood. I met them outside my office around noon and first showed them the W Hotel, right next to our office, which is kind of the new eastern hub of the entertainment district. I very proudly pointed out how they worked the subway entrance into the front of the hotel (hoping they wouldn't notice the drug dealers and homeless teenage runaways), and then we walked all the way down to Hollywood & Highland. I pointed out things like the Hollywood Broadway, the multiple Scientology buildings, the Hollywood sign, and the historic buildings along the way. Unfortunately, it seemed like some of them were less than impressed with Hollywood. One of the leaders of the group told me "it doesn't look like what you think of when you think of Hollywood." I agreed with him, but told him it definitely looks better than it did 10 or 20 years ago, and said maybe when we got to Highland it would look more like what they expected. I think maybe it did, because they seemed a little happier once we got down there, and I showed them the Kodak Theatre and the Chinese Theatre. They did comment on all the homeless people (they called them "drunks") and so I told them about the costumed characters and how we had gotten rid of them, which they were happy about. They said they would not want to have been accosted by the characters!
We took a group picture and I pointed Madame Tussaud's out to them, but then I had to get back to the office.
We had a staff meeting as soon as I got back. I ended up working late so I couldn't make it to Joe's b-day at Richard Simmon's fitness studio, Slimmon's in Beverly Hills, but I figured I wouldn't be able to do that. I did got to meet the party for dinner at Marix just down the street. I sat at an end of the table and talked mainly to Cindy and another musician, Rebecca Norris (check her out at www.rebeccanorrismusic.com). Cindy asked me if I wanted to do a number at the Boofont's show on Saturday. I wasn't sure, because I said I wasn't funny, but she said it didn't have to be funny, she just wanted to have another special guest since they would be celebrating Joe's birthday that night. I remembered the mashup I had worked on that I had intended for Club Blender, so I told her I could do that.
As we were leaving, Libby from Grub came in - it turns out her and Joe are friends and they all knew each other back in Chicago. Such a small world.
Oh, Electric Six is coming to town in October and their new album, "Zodiac," is gonna be on sale at the show - on White Vinyl with a free digital download!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!