Kele!

For some reason I finally decided I wanted to get the ball rolling on my live shows with my new solo material, even though I haven't even finished the album, so I put an ad on Craigslist looking for a keyboard player.
After work, Brandon and Angie met me outside my office and we walked over to the Music Box. I was so excited to see Kele (Okereke, formerly of Bloc Party) because I love his new solo album. I never got into Bloc Party, even though I saw them perform once downtown at the Detour Festival, but then I heard that Kele was gay, and that his solo album was going to be electro, so I had downloaded the single "Tenderoni" and really liked it and ended up buying the album on CD after it came out. Brandon was excited to see the opening band, Does It Offend You, Yeah?
We got the owners' box and VIP treatment since I am friends with the owner, but the only thing that didn't work out as planned is that we never ended up getting drink tickets, so I ended up spending way too much money at the bar, thinking that the drink tickets would arrive any minute. Oh well, it was still a fun night out.
I was a little bewildered by Does It Offend You, Yeah?, as it turned out that they were missing their lead singer. The two "front people," a male guitar player and a female bassist, were both fairly new to the band. So it just seemed a little odd that they would have embarked on a US tour under such circumstances. I mean sure, there were times in Shitting Glitter where the sh!t had hit the fan and we ended up having to play gigs without having all the people in the band that we really should have had, but we never were missing the lead singer. They still seemed to please all their fans, and once they were over it seemed like everyone was leaving, which was sad. Luckily, the crowd filled back up again when Kele started to play. Brandon and Angie decided to leave, so Tiger and I went down to the floor for the rest of the show, which I had wanted to do anyway to see Kele more closely and be part of the crowd.
I think maybe a lot of the people were Bloc Party fans because the crowd seemed to thin out near the end of the set, which I thought was odd, but meant that I got to move up closer. I thought his live show was great. He was energetic and entertaining, and his band was really awesome - a cute female keyboard player, a drummer and another guy who played drums/percussion/keyboards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!