Robyn and Kelis: The All Hearts Tour

It was a big day!
I was the first one into work, since Brian is gone and we had the meeting yesterday so everyone was kind of drained from getting ready for that. The movers came to pick up the carts from when we moved up to the 4th floor, but Sarah was still using hers so I had to call her to figure out what to do.
I went to lunch at Umami Burger, this fairly new place at Space 15 Twenty that I had been wanting to try When I walked in the guy seemed to be kind of rude when I told him it was just one, and he told me I could "sit on that couch," pointing to a couch right by the entrance that looked like a waiting area. Whatever, I thought, as I started to sit down, when I looked at the table right next to me and saw most of the staff from the CRA (Community Redevelopment Agency) which I had just had a meeting with a couple days before, and have known some of them for awhile. So I asked if I could sit with them and they said sure. There I was having lunch with nearly the entire CRA staff - something many developers and business people would kill for!
Work dragged by waiting for 6 because I was so excited for the Robyn/Kelis concert! Finally, Dylan came to meet me at my office, and we went across the street to Dillons Irish Pub, one of my new favorite hangouts. They have $3 beers all day, and a huge selection. We got the bigger, $5 glasses, though. They also have $ oysters on the half shell, which I love, and unfortunately tried to share the love with Dylan. He's not a big fan of most shellfish and poor thing, tried to swallow the whole oyster (not sure if he didn't know he was supposed to chew it or if he just didn't want to) and ended up gagging and having to spit it out!
While we were there, one of the people from the chamber called about LA Times interview with John; apparently they weren't too happy about it. I said I would talk to them on Monday, but the fact is, that LA Times was not going to even cover the upcoming Walk of Fame Anniversary festival unless they could do the story on John.
Tiger met us as we were leaving Dillons, so we walked down the street and went to The Well for one drink. Rage Against the Machine were playing tonight at the Palladium, which is right across the street, so The Well was hopping with RATM fans, it was kind of difficult to get a drink. Once we got them, we chugged 'em down cause Marc had called to say he and Robert just got to the Music Box. Marc has his ticket for the show, but Robert was on my list (I'm VIP like that!) so he had to wait for us to get in.
We got there pretty early I thought, but apparently the doors had opened at 6pm (!) and the show started shortly after that, so we had completely missed Daniel Black, which really bummed me out as I had just bought his CD the other day and was really excited to see him.
There were tons of people I knew there so it was really fun anyway, as we visited with a lot of people while waiting for Kelis to come on. She finally came out and had this fantastic sparkly beaded wig on. Her show was awesome, even better than at LA Pride. Now that I've heard her CD I really appreciated all the new songs she performed. The show went by so fast and I had such a great time.
Robyn played last, and she was really great too. I don't know much of her music but I love her new single "Dancing On My Own" and all her songs were really fun and high-energy. Everyone was going crazy during her set.
The show was over by midnight. I had left my house keys, iPad and sunglasses up in my office so we went up to get them which allowed me to show off my new office. Then we walked Robert and Marc to the their car and said goodbye; they are leaving for Dore Alley in San Francisco in the morning. Tiger, Dylan and I walked over to Piano Bar for a nightcap; it's a place I've been wanting to check out. Dylan was thrilled because this band called Chuck E. Weiss and the God Damn Liars was playing there and he said he has been reading about them in the LA Weekly since he was in high school. Out on the patio, I met this girl from St. Louis. For some inexplicable reason, her date just walked up and shoved her off on me and said we should meet or something like that. When I told her I was from Kansas and loved St. Louis, she got all happy and then made some comment about how people from the Midwest are just nicer and easier to talk to, and that people from southern California were assholes. Then she proceed to yell at me because I didn't know where the college she went to was, even though after she told me I realized I had been there and really liked the town - I just didn't know the name of the college. Then, she asked me if I knew about KU, and I said yes, my sister went to Law School there, to which she loudly replied, "yeah, KU SUCKS!" So, I left this 'nice Midwestern girl' to hang out with my 'asshole Californian friends.'
We only stayed for one drink before we dropped Tiger off at his truck and headed home.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 202
Mummy shirt that I sewed for my costume last Halloween. The pants ended up being really cool but the shirt I will never need again.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Oh, Devin, so much excitement n your life, do you ever slow down!!! That midwestern chick must have been drunk, she won't last long in CA if she talks to people like that!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!