The Scissor Sisters and Me

This morning I went and toured the YMCA since it's part of the Sunset/Vine BID and I'd never been there; Kitty who is on our board had invited me to come check it out. It's a great gym in a really old building and they have a lot of cool things going on there. She asked me if I was thinking of joining and I told her how I have a membership at LA Fitness but never go.
I got the newsletter all finished and Sarah had some corrections for me and then it was ready to go. It was great timing because right when I was ready to send it, Kerry sent us an e-mail from England saying we could go home early for the holiday weekend.
We finally got a chance to hear the whole Scissor Sisters CD at home while we were cleaning and hanging out. I really, really like it. It's so nice to enjoy the Scissor Sisters again. I loved them when I first heard of them, which was through the Party Monster soundtrack. At that point they were almost completely unknown in the US. They had only had a few releases in the UK, including a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" which was the first thing I bought when I found it as a 12" picture disc at Virgin Megastore (those were the days). Before anyone else had heard of them, I got their debut CD as an import, and then saw them play FOR FREE at Spaceland, where we were right in front (me, Marc, Dylan, Myles, and maybe more). It was right at the time Shitting Glitter was starting to play some good shows and get good reviews and I was thinking that we were like the West Coast answer to the Scissor Sisters. As it turned out, a good friend of ours was good friends with Ana Matronic, and we were able to get some correspondence through to their management and had high hopes about opening for them on their first full tour.
Unfortunately, after awhile, I stopped thinking of them just as this band whose music I dug, and more of a missed opportunity for Shitting Glitter. They didn't have us open for them on their next tour (actually, they were opening for the B-52's so I don't even think they had an opener) but it was just really disappointing that they never acknowledged us or got in touch, and that there didn't seem to be any way for Shitting Glitter to parlay the success of the first openly-gay rock band, which we had wanted to be, into anything for ourselves. I became pretty bitter about it, and when they released their second album, "Ta-Dah," it sounded like a total sell-out to me, and I never even listened to the whole thing.
Now that all of that is water under the bridge, I've come to appreciate them again and this new album is just fantastic. I'm so glad!
I had a late rehearsal with Invisible Material at Amp in North Hollywood. Jasten came to shoot some additional footage for the "Folded Page" video, which has been in the works for ages now. When I got home, Dylan was asleep on the couch; he had planned to go to this club night at the Echo with Marc but was too wiped out. We just watched TV and went to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 182
"Totally FUCT" Oktoberfest t-shirt, Hays, Kansas, 1999. So this was my last Oktoberfest in Kansas and I'm quite sure that, like the t-shirt says, I got totally fuct there.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I am so excited about seeing the IM video!! Any idea how much longer?

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!