Costume Designers Gala

Dylan and I were going to the Opening Gala for the Outstanding Art of Television Costume Design Exhibition. This is an annual event held downtown at FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising) that we usually go to, because Dylan usually has to work there since it's also a TV Academy event. They do the nomination receptions at this event for the costume design Emmy nominees. It's always a really fun party with great food and an open bar.
I got up and dyed my eyebrows, and then had Dylan do my eyelashes. I meant to do my hair too, but I got too lazy. Then got my outfit ironed for the event. Dylan and I went to Jack in the Box on the way downtown since we hadn't eaten anything and we had to get there early since Dylan was helping set up (although just the reception table, not the whole event). Dylan wanted to get a new shirt so we went to Macy's on 7th street. He ended up getting a neat grey button down shirt with a damask sort of pattern.
We parked at FIDM and then I walked around downtown a little, got a coffee at starbucks, and looked in the grocery store until event started.
Usually, we bring a couple guests with us to the event but we didn't have anyone this year because we had invited Brandon and Angie but then Angie wasn't feeling well and we didn't have time to invite anyone else. So it was just him and I, which is fine, but it's more fun with more people. I didn't know anyone there, so I just ate and drank until Dylan was done working and then we went around and talked to people he knew. We also checked out the exhibition, which is always really cool. They have displays from different TV shows with costumes that the characters had worn. We make a game out of it by trying to guess the show without looking at the title, although sometimes it doesn't work because they put the name really big on the wall behind them or something. We took a lot of pictures in there. I loved seeing the True Blood, Glee and Mad Men displays!
Afterward, I really wanted to check out this new bar called Villains Tavern that I had heard about from this e-mail I get, Daily Candy. It looked really cool, so Dylan and I were driving to it, when we got the industrial part of downtown, and I told Dylan to turn right. He said he didn't think there was going to be anything down this street I was telling him to turn on because it looked desolate and kind of scary. But, lo and behold, we found the bar, and it was amazing! It was sort of steampunk and noir combined, there was a wall with all these shelves of different colored glass bottles that you could see through, and the whole place had this retro vibe. We ordered the "Poison Apple" because that was the drink you could get free for mentioning Daily Candy. The bartender was making the drinks, and at the end he took out a dropper and squirted something on top of the shaved ice that covered the top of the drink. Dylan asked him what it was and he just slyly replied, "poison." Of course!
We stayed and had a second drink there, sitting upstairs, and then looked around a bit and found a whole outdoor patio with a three-piece band playing. The singer was also playing an accordion, and there was a guitar player and an upright bass.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 203
"Getting it Done" paperback book. This was a book we were supposed to read in some class in college. Ironically, I never finished it and it has set on my bookshelf since then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!