Transition

Normally after Pride weekend, I'd allow myself to sleep in and go into work a little late, but this year was different - much different. I had to be on time, because I was training my replacement, a man named Jim. I met him out front of the studio and we walked up together. I immediately felt a little overwhelmed because I had so much to teach him, in such a little amount of time (2 weeks, for four hours a day) and anyone who knows me knows that I'm not the best teacher in the world. It's ironic, since both my parents are educators, but I tend to get really frustrated when trying to explain things to people and I get irritated when they don't catch on as quickly as I'd like them to. Unfortunately for Dylan this has often been the case when I've tried to teach him things on the computer, and because of that I think I have actually gotten better and more patient because I've learned how counterproductive it can be when you're trying to teach someone something and you're not allowing them enough time or freedom to really learn. Still, I'm not ever going to win Teacher of the Year.
Luckily, Jim has quite a bit of similar experience to the type of work he'll be doing now taking over for me, which is of course why we hired him. It was more just a matter of making sure he knew the specific job duties and the things that are unique about this job. And it is very unique; since I had already worked there for 3 years before they promoted me to Operations Manager and restructured the company leaving me to work by myself in the office, they already knew and trusted me. Since Jim is new, they didn't really want to leave him unsupervised in an office by himself all day, so they came up with a plan to have me train him for half the day, then he would go work with Susan the other half of the day. What would happen after I was gone was still sort of up in the air, but for now it was assumed that he might have to work at Susan's house for a few months before they would turn him loose.
After our time was up, we both headed out; he for the studio, and I for my new job! My new office is at Hollywood and Vine in the Taft Building, a big, very old building where Von used to work when he did the Hollywood Data Recovery. My first day there was pretty simple. Katie, the girl I was replacing, couldn't make it in, so they just had me go through her files and acquaint myself with the new office. Kerry, my new boss came in and talked to me a little bit but nothing to serious yet. I think I'm going to love this job.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 164
"Sporty Spice" miniature plastic figurine.

Comments

Scarlet said…
When do you move into your new offices. I don't feel as comfortable calling u at work, anymore, which is prob. not a good practice, anyway. Remember to take a pic of your new office and how about the outside, etc. I would love to put them in an album on FB.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!