My last HMD board meeting

This morning I had to get up really early and make it to the Arclight by 8am for the Hollywood Economic Summit. It's an annual event that's put on by the Chamber of Commerce. I had gone to it once years ago when I worked for the Media District and Mary Lou was still there; she was always much more involved with the Chamber Events so when she was my boss, we were always going to meetings and luncheons with the Chamber.
I knew quite a bit of people there, so I tried to talk to them all and let them know about my new position. Then Brian from my office showed up so I just hung out with him and he introduced me to some of our board members.
The summit was pretty interesting. There was a lot of information in a little amount of time, but most of it was pretty positive about how Hollywood is weathering this economic depression fairly well, and that things are starting to turn around.
I had a dentist appointment right after that, so I had to run down to Larchmont as soon as the summit was over. It was just my regular 6 month cleaning, but the dentist told me he had found a cavity that he had been watching for awhile so he needed me to come back in a week or two and get it filled. Ugh!
I went to my old office to meet Jim and get ready for the board meeting - my last Media District board meeting. It was kind of sad but nice all at the same time. It was actually very surreal. We got most everything ready; it was easy because Jim had already gotten the water and snacks that morning so there wasn't much left for us to do. At some point, he mentioned that one of us would have to pick up the coffee. I told him we don't normally have coffee at board meetings but that it was a good idea. I said he could go pick it up, then he said "or you could." And after some discussion, I thought it would make more sense if he got it, to which he replied, "I'm really supposed to have you go get it." Finally, I realized something was going on, being that it was my last board meeting, so I took the hint and went to go get the coffee. He told me to make sure he was ready before I came to the meeting with the coffee, so I waited to the all clear and then I went to the Musician's Union.
It turned out he had gotten a cake and some decorations, and champagne, and they threw me a little going away party before the meeting started. The most amazing part (besides the delicious red velvet cake!) was that they got me a "going away present" and I about fainted when I opened it - it was an iPad!!! I've never been one to get the new gadgets and gizmos when they come out because I never usually have any money and I have other things I have to spend my money on. But, Susan had asked me if there was anything I wanted and I sort of jokingly said an iPad, because they look so cool but it's not something I would have just bought for myself.
To go along with the iPad, Susan got me a wireless keyboard as her own going away present. It was just really so thoughtful and nice of all of them, I was speechless. But, I made myself say a few words anyway, about how much I had enjoyed working there - as I had worked there nearly 8 years, I must have liked it!
The meeting itself was pretty standard. I took some notes but not as detailed as usual since I wouldn't have to be typing the minutes up later. I gave my notes to Jim afterward just in case there was anything he had missed.
I ran home after the meeting was over and then I headed over to Brandon and Angie's to meet up with them and the parents. We had a huge dinner of chinese food that they had ordered out. I showed off the iPad, although I was bummed to find that I couldn't actually get it to do anything because apparently you have to sync it to your computer first.
Tiger, Rebecca and Loren came over and they had birthday gifts for me. Tiger gave me a copy of the new Kelis CD - he had loved her show at Pride as much as I had. Loren and Rebecca got me "Nightmare before Christmas" drumsticks from Disneyland that are black with Jack Skellington and bats and stuff on them, they're so cute!
Dylan had to work late so he couldn't join us.
We all went out to the hot tub but found that it was not hot at all, which was disappointing until we discovered that the pool was much warmer. It was as warm as a bath tub! So most of us got in the pool, but mom and dad just dipped their toes in the hot tub and sat and watched us. It was a lot of fun.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 174
"Mad Men" Season 1 DVD set - this was a 'screener' set that we had of the first season and I gave it to Brandon and Angie since they haven't ever seen it.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Hope you are enjoying the IPad, I always forget to ask how you are doing with it!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!