Full Circle at the Joint

Today I had my first board meeting for the Hollywood Entertainment District which was a good experience. I commented to my new co-workers that it seemed so calm in the office right before the meeting, whereas usually before a board meeting I was running around like crazy, sweating, trying to get everything put together. Since I was pretty much a one-man show there, I'd have to get the food and water bottles, copy the meeting packets, get the sign-in sheet and all the supplies gathered and then carry everything over to the Musicians Union and set the room up; now that there are 5 of us, everyone has their job to do and it's much easier. As they said, it's a well-oiled machine.
After the meeting, I went home and got ready for the Shitting Glitter show at the Joint. It definitely felt weird knowing this would probably be the last time I'd be getting ready for an SG show for the time being. It was sad but refreshing at once. I found this silly crystal tattoo that I'd been saving forever that said "Cool" in blue plastic rhinestones so I put it on right next to my eye and did my makeup and got dressed up like I normally would.
When we got down to the Joint, I was - as usual - blowing things up in my mind and imagining that tons of people would have heard that it might be their last chance to see me with the band (since several people had posted that on Facebook) but unfortunately that was not the case and it was pretty empty there; just how I remember the Joint usually being. It's off the beaten path for most people I know, and it had gotten a reputation for being one of those places where they book 10 bands into one night, everyone runs late, and you end up having to watch 4 crappy bands in completely different styles and genres before the band you came to see ever gets to play. But, at some point they had completely remodeled it, taking over the space which had been next door, and it is really a cool place to play now; they just need to get more people to come out there.
The other thing working against us was it was some huge basketball finals downtown and the Lakers were in it (and they won) so most people were either downtown, or watching the game at home.
The band that played before us was Pink Noise, and we know the guitarist, Jake, because we had played with his previous band (Childhood Friends) a couple times before. Pink Noise was great, I knew I would like them from their songs online. They are a throwback to the new wave/new romantic bands and they sound like they could have fit right in there with Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Dead or Alive, OMD, and the like. In fact they even cover some of those songs, so of course Marc and I were loving it. They covered "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul which was fun, since the Lakers were playing at the exact same time, and they covered "The Sun Always Shines On TV" which was perfect since we had just seen a-Ha perform it recently.
After their set, we took the stage. Laura couldn't make it because she had to work at her new security job, but Red ended up being able to come right after she got off work. So it was just the 4 of us and we hadn't played without Laura for many months now, and hadn't rehearsed with the tracks so I was a little nervous about it. Also, I had realized we wouldn't be able to play some songs like "17" or "Full Release" since we obviously never needed tracks for those songs since they're newer and we always played them with Laura.
The set actually went pretty well, all things considered. We decided to do "Vampire" since we could but I think that was the only one we threw in that we hadn't been doing in our regular sets as of late (we had talked about doing Collection and Socially Activist but opted not to).
Myles came to film us. Hoagie was there, which was nice, and there was a girl that had something to do with some big beach party that the band is going to play at later in the fall, and she really seemed to love us. All in all, it was a bittersweet night. The Joint was the 1st place we ever played at outside of our home bar, Jox, where our first two gigs had been. The Joint was a real rock n' roll bar and the first few times we played there we were nervous as heck. It was kind of like coming full circle, but it would have been nicer if there had been more people there to support.
After we were all done, I packed up and helped the Pink Noise boys load out since they were going to stay at our place tonight. They followed us back up to WeHo and we let them park in the garage since they had all their equipment in the car, but they brought a lot of it up anyway since the garage door wasn't working. We hung out for a little bit but then we had to get to sleep since it was pretty late by that point.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 167
Very old, ugly Palo soft luggage bag, this was part of a set that belonged to my parents when I was a kid. I don't know how I just ended up with this one bag, but it's got a huge stain on it and I never use it now that I have other nicer travel bags.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Glad you posted about your last SG show, also enjoyed reading about your board meeting going so smoothly!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!