St. Patrick's Day

My work day was filled with putting my office back together. It is looking so nice! Even though my desk is tiny, I think it will be better now so that I won't get into the habit of letting papers pile up all over it. My old desk could hold a lot of piles, which is really not a good thing.
I put the ingredients for the Corned Beef and Cabbage in the slow cooker over my lunch break and when I got back near work I took a detour over to the Irish Import Store at Vine and Waring. I had never been there, but Mary Lou (my old boss), had told me about it and I always see it when I go to Subway for lunch. I decided since it was St. Patrick's Day, I should go check it out. Obviously, it was a busy day for them and looked like it had been busy for awhile. I was surprised by all the different items they carried, from t-shirts and cd's/dvd's to frozen food, snacks, drinks, gifts, decorations, etc... I had fun browsing but finally decided to buy some Malted Milk shortbread type cookies, some frozen Yorkshire Pudding "batters," and a big banner that said "Happy St. Patrick's Day" in green and silver glitter.
I rushed home from work to an amazing smell in the apartment from the Corned Beef in the slow cooker. I had to hurry to try to finish cleaning up and getting ready for company, as Dylan was working late so he wouldn't be home until after our guests started to arrive. Putting the finishing touches on the apartment proved easier than I thought they would be, and I had time to start focusing more on the food before Bun arrived, the first guest. He got to watch me attempt to make deep-fried Artichokes from my 4 ingredient cookbook, but something about me and deep frying just does not go together. For some reason, I always end up making a huge mess, having oil splatter everywhere, sometimes starting a grease fire (not this time, luckily), and ending up without the food being finished. I had to throw the two artichokes away because they were just greasy, not cooked, and didn't look anything like the picture in the book. But, the Corned Beef Brisked and cabbage turned out perfectly, so I wasn't upset at all.
AJ, Amy, Laura and Carrie arrived shortly thereafter and they had brought a beef stew, corn bread, salad, and of course beer. I found my green food dye so we could make our own green beer. Then, Dylan got home, Kristahn arrived, and we decided to watch the "Night Mayor" episode of Sarah Silverman since we were waiting for our last guests, who finally arrived near the end of the episode - Dylan's cousin Shannon and her girlfriend Suzanne (they came bearing Guinness).
We dug in to the food and it was all very delicious! The brisket went very quickly and everyone complimented me on it. Unfortunately, I forgot to make the yorkshire puddings until after everyone had eaten, so no one was really hungry by the time they were done. They would have been perfect underneath the stew or the corned beef.
Dylan made grasshopper drinks in the blender which were delicious!
Eventually, most of our guests left, but Shannon and Suzanne stayed for awhile and I had a really good talk with Shannon while I was showing her the paint in the bedroom. Then Kristahn really wanted me to go to a bar with her, and even though I wasn't really feeling like going out and I had to wake up in the morning, I agreed just to help her out and make sure she got home OK (she had drank a little too much at our house). So we went over to Silver Spoon for a nightcap and I helped her hail a taxi cab once we were done.
When I got home, I was suddenly not tired at all and ended up staying up way too late, watching TV and taking pictures of our apartment since it was all nice and orderly.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 75
Barbie "I Love my Family" Coloring Book. Someone gave this to me as a joke-gift. I have a thing about Barbies. I'm sure almost every gay guy has gotten at least one Barbie doll or barbie-related gift at some point. I do actually own a collection of my own Barbie dolls. I used to play with my sister's dolls when I was little, and still find it a great stress reliever from time to time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!