Solar the Sign

The dogs woke me up a few times in the morning, as Daisy tried to get up on the bed with Forrest and I a couple of times, but she was very good about getting down when I would yell "no!" Finally, around 11am, I did roll out of bed. I hung out for a little while petting the dogs out back by the pool but then I wanted to get home.
On the drive back over Laurel Canyon, I stopped first at CVS to get some household stuff and called Dylan to see if there was anything we needed that I was forgetting about.
When I got home, I proudly told Dylan how I had driven right by Weinerschnitzel, a hot dog chain that has become a guilty pleasure of mine. Instead, I cooked brunch. I was going to make this recipe I've done before, Baked Eggs with Creamy Leeks, but it turned out I didn't have any leeks leftover like I thought I did. What I did have was kale, so I used that instead. And, I didn't have any cream, but I did have a can of evaporated milk. So, they ended up being OK.
Shitting Glitter played at benefit for "Solar the Sign" which is an organization that promotes solar energy, and their first project is to light the iconic Hollywood sign using solar powered lights. The event was at Isla Cantina, which is a little bar/restaurant with a round, dome ceiling right on Sunset where Holloway meets it. It's a place I'd seen a million times but never had went inside. It was actually really tiny and lots of people were there, and the whole thing was running behind schedule, as events of that nature often tend to do. There was a drum circle for earth hour soon after we arrived, and we were supposed to play right after that, but there ended up being three acts on before us. By the time we were about to play, the bar had informed the Solar the Sign people that they had to be out of there by 11pm for another party. In the end, we only were allowed to play 2 songs ("Slut Buffet" and "Full Release") but the band after us didn't get to play at all, and we had borrowed their drum kit to save time. I felt really bad for them, because I remembered a benefit we played at for Lifeworks years ago that we didn't get to play at, and it was an awful night which culminated in us having a pretty horrible fight and me basically quitting the band, which obviously didn't last long. Anyway this was nothing like that night but I still know how it feels when you haul all your stuff and tell our friends to come see you play and then you don't get to. Roy, my friend who was one of the organizers of the event, apologized to us and said he wanted to set up a show with a few of us who had performed that night to be more of just a concert, so that would be really fun.
I thought we might go out afterward, but we ended up just going home and chilling out.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 84
I decided to go through my 'file cabinet', which is actually just a plastic crate with hanging files and folders. I started it when I first moved to LA and for awhile, was really good about filing my paid bills, bank statements, and anything pertaining to my apartment rental. However, through the years it just became a place to shove papers that I didn't know where else to put. So, going through it today was a real trip down memory lane. I ended up throwing away a stack of papers about 10 inches tall, which included lots of old cell phone bills and the lease agreement Brandon and I had signed for our first apartment in California, the studio on Cantara Street in Winnetka. Little did I know then that it would be my only apartment to this date, almost ten years later, that had a washing machine and a hot tub (outside by the pool). I thought that was just the norm for California. The only problem with it was that it was so far out in suburbia, and the fact that it was only a studio; otherwise it was a great place to land in LA.

Comments

Scarlet said…
It was a good little place to land, but I'm glad u live where u are now.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!