Downtown goes Downtown

I was surprised by how late I slept in today, but I guess I needed the rest.
When we finally did all get up and around, we piled into my car and we headed downtown for the fashion district because Carrie wanted to check it out. She hadn't been there for a long time, she said. It's funny because one of Carrie's many nicknames is "Downtown" which stemmed from a story that she told us once about riding a bus and hanging out downtown. I don't even remember much of the story but the nickname somehow stuck. So, we went to where I usually park and walked around the area near Michael Levine's which is the store I usually always end up visiting. It had just been featured on RuPaul's Drag Race so we all went in and went crazy looking at all the amazing fabrics they have. Dylan found some red and white striped swimwear fabric that he bought because he's been looking for the right fabric for a long time now to have a custom-made retro one piece swimsuit. Unfortunately, he later realized the number he had for the guy who was going to sew it for him no longer worked, but that's what you get when you take years to find the right fabric. Things in LA change too quickly. Carrie found some yarn and bamboo knitting needles as a gift for her girlfriend, Julia.
We walked around some more, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the vibrant area where fabric is sold alongside cheap gifts and food carts. Carrie bought some fruit salad that she had been talking about, so we all tried some of it. I also ended up buying a necklace with a sort of disco-ball type pendant, and a gift for Angie, and Robin and I both got some hair bump-its (I'm going to use mine when styling Coco Ono's wigs).
Finally, the fashion district had worn us out so we headed over to Philippe's for dinner. The lines were huge this time, but we assured them that it was worth the wait. Philippe's is a historic place, they claim to have invented the French Dip sandwich, and it's definitely something to be experienced. Saw dust on the floor, coffee for 9 cents, and the sandwiches are amazing. I got a lamb french dip with blue cheese, a side of potato salad, and slice of banana creme pie. It was all scrumptious. It seemed like Carrie and Robin were both happy with their food; of course Dylan loved his.
When we got home, Robin hugged us and said goodbye so she could head back to her new place in Burbank before it got dark, and then the rest of us just chilled in the living room before we went to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 79
"Twitch and Shout: A Touretter's Tale" by Lowell Handler (Novel). I'm not really sure where I picked this book up, although it's possible it came from the Dollar Tree because I used to buy hard back books there once in awhile. I have been fascinated by Tourette's Syndrome since I first heard of it, and this was a really great book on the subject. I remember reading it on a trip home to Kansas once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!