Movie Night

Today at work, a few people from a theatre company came to pick up my old desk. This is not the huge desk that I had the whole saga with a couple of weeks ago, but rather a smaller, but still really enormous and heavy, desk which used to be mine back when I first started working for the Media District, but for the past five years has just sat in the smaller room of my office suite. Things were hectic here on the lot, so we had to move the desk downstairs and then have them pull their van in, and then load it in the van. While we were loading it in the van, I pulled something in my back which then made it very painful to sit down or to bend over.
I was pretty worthless after that for most of the workday, since I couldn't really sit at my desk, so I tried to go through the plastic boxes of files and put stuff back but I could do that either since I couldn't bend at the waist.
On my lunch break, I walked over to Pavilions and go the ingredients for the stew I was going to make for the dinner party. My friend Kristen, who I met through Brad, planned this movie night at Brad and Alf's and I had planned on making this pea and mint soup from Bon Appetit magazine, but Dylan was less than thrilled when I told him about it. So, I looked through another old issue and found a recipe for Barley Stew with Leeks, Mushroom and Greens which looked way more interesting.
After work, I came home and immediately started preparing the stew. It was actually really easy. I just sliced up the leeks, the mushroom, and some garlic and put that in a pot with some oil. Then I added the barley and vegetable stock. After that cooked for awhile, I cleaned and chopped some Kale and added that to the mix. When it was all done, I transferred it to the crock pot (I actually had to cook some more kale and add it later cause it wouldn't all fit in the pot on the oven).
We got to Brad's shortly after 7:30pm and visited for awhile before we started in with the food. Alf had gotten a bunch of sandwiches from Black Dog Coffee - they were terrific. I think the one I had was White Cheddar with curry sauce and sun-dried cherries. Yummy! Kristen made a delicious orzo salad with feta, and a Caesar salad with amazing home-made dressing. Ally made guacamole that was fantastic and she said the secret ingredient is cumin; I'll have to remember that for next time I make some.
The movie we chose to watch was "Up" which was really, really great! I wish I had seen it before the Oscars but I'm glad I got to see it now. It had a really great store and really fantastic animation and visuals. We all liked it a lot.
The mood was very festive and I hated to leave, but I was supposed to be dog sitting for Susan and I was starting to worry about them the later it got, so I had to say my goodbyes and head up to the Valley. I dropped Dylan off on the way cause I had to go get my blanket, pillow and jammies anyway. When I got there, both Forrest and Daisy ran to the door and were barking at me, but as soon as I came in and sat down they came and sat next to me and wanted petting. I turned the TV on just in time for this movie "Slackers" which just came on, and it had Devon Sawa and Jason Schwartzman in it so I had to watch it. I don't know how I missed it before as I used to be such a big Devon Sawa fan, but I hit the "info" button and the synopsis said it was released in 2002, which was really kind of a wild year for me so it's not surprising that I missed this movie. It actually ended up being not that great. The plot was kind of generic as was the dialogue but it wasn't bad or anything. After that, the episode of "Tales From the Darkside" called The Satanic Piano was on, so I had to watch that because I had seen that one back in the day and always remembered it because of Lisa Bonet and the haunting piano piece she plays in it (her character's dad is a Lionel Richie type musician who can't seem to finish his new album, and is too preoccupied to notice his daughter's budding talent). I didn't really remember much of the plot, so it was interesting to watch it again, even if it turned out to be a little hokey like most of the TFTD episodes.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 83
Silver floral patterned checkbook/wallet. I got this free from - if memory serves - a pantyhose of the month club! I swear that's what it was but I could be completely making that up in my mind. It was right before I moved to LA and I had been messing around with drag a little bit and somehow I got something in the mail about this club and I thought it was a good way to get pantyhose without having to go out and buy them. It sounds so ridiculous though that as I type it I really wonder if I'm getting confused. Anyway, I used this checkbook when I first moved to LA a lot and so even after I stopped using it, I sort of held on to it for the sentimental value, but really it's just a crappy old free checkbook so it was time to let it go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!