Spencer Day

No, it's not some holiday called Spencer Day, that's the name of a singer we went to see tonight at Upright Cabaret, which is located in the bar of Vermont Restaurant, on Vermont in Hollywood/Silverlake. I have been to Upright once before, when Tiffany performed her cabaret show there which I think I blogged about at the time. That was a wonderful experience, and tonight was just as magical even though I'd just recently found out about Spencer. He's a jazz singer/songwriter that Dylan discovered and his voice is like butter (or "buttah" as they say). He's got an amazing charisma on stage and he's just so adorable. Some of his songs had some really funny lines in them, too, which is good to balance out the seriousness. Apparently, he is playing at the Hollywood Bowl in August so his career is on a good trajectory right now and it was good to see him now because I think he'll be getting way bigger soon.
I realized that I still had that song, "So Dystopian" in my head when I woke up in the morning, so I made a really quick, rough demo of the chorus to send to Brandon, and he loved it so I guess I will maybe try to record it and add it to my album. I also have been completely obsessed with this old song "Hurt" by Re-Flex (the band that did "Politics of Dancing") so I want to cover that now too. I had read about it on the Bottom Feeders blog - it went to #82 in 1984 - and bought the album at Amoeba for a couple bucks.
We had our board meeting today, which was the first meeting with Ron as president. It went pretty well. Capt. Irigoyen showed us his new video camera which is this tiny little black plastic thing that clips to your shirt, and you'd never know it was a camera. But the video is actually really good, similar to like and iPhone video. I kinda wanna get one, for covert missions, you know!
Susan gave me a key to her house because I'm going to dog sit for her tomorrow night. Poor Forrest seems to be doing well recovering from his possum attack.
Back to Upright Cabaret, the night was really fun. We got there early so we could get a good table and have dinner. I had a roasted beet and goat cheese salad which I shared with Dylan in return for some of his grilled cheese sandwich. Then we got sweet potato fried cause we were still hungry. They had some really interesting cocktails on the menu including two that we both tried, the Clerk Owl, which Dylan described as tropical with berries; and the Dragon Lily which was a little harder to explain because it was a sweet martini with lychee flavor, which is really distinctive. And the waiter there, who was also working the night Ryan and I were there to see Tiffany, is incredibly hot.
One last thing, I was so proud of myself at lunch. I went to Pavilions and I walked straight up to the Panda Express counter, thinking I'd get honey walnut shrimp and the eggplant tofu, to fit on my pescetarian diet, but then thought better of it and just decided to get a salad and some diet green tea. I realized when I got back to my desk that the salad had chicken, but it wasn't mixed in yet so I just threw it away. Yay for me and vegetables and fish!

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 82
My precious purple plastic pipe, which was the first bong I ever bought, back in college. Actually I think it was the first paraphernalia of any kind I bought, and I got it in Manhattan, Kansas, in Aggieville. (Dad would be so proud). It's traveled through the years with me, but has definitely seen better days. I was a little shocked and saddened when I discovered it was gone, and Dylan said he had thrown it away. All for the best, I suppose.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Mostly caught up!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!