Lacrosse

This morning we woke up fairly early and drove up to Granada Hills High School, Dylan's alma mater, to watch his niece Cody's lacrosse match. Neither of us had ever seen a lacrosse game before so we didn't know what to expect. I guess I should have at least realized it would be outdoors and involve sunlight, but I didn't wear sunscreen or bring sunglasses. Luckily, Dylan had an extra pair of sunglasses, and his sister Tracy had sunscreen. The game itself was pretty fun to watch. In lacrosse, they carry these sticks with a net on the end, and then they try to carry the ball in the nets and launch them into the goals, so on that end it's just like soccer. Cody's team is very new so they are still learning the game and didn't do so well in terms of the score, but they all seemed to enjoy it and are, by all accounts, getting better with each match.
After the game, we went to Jersey Mike's with Tracy, Cody, Caitlyn (Dylan's other niece/Tracy's daughter), Tom (Dylan's dad), and Cody's boyfriend. It's nice doing family stuff on weekend mornings rather than sleeping in.
Dylan and I went to OSH Hardware after that because they were having a no sales tax event and I wanted to get stuff to finish the bathroom. I ended up just getting new brushed metal switchplate covers, and Dylan got a new little thing to screw the bathroom light fixture on with (the painters must have dropped the old one down the sink drain cause we never could find it). I also got rope lights for the dining table and Dylan got little martini outdoor lights for the patio.
Shitting Glitter played at the Cat Club with Rough Duchess at night. Rough Duchess was great, I had never actually seen them or really heard their music before, but I really enjoyed it and bought their new CD afterward. My favorite song is "Inside Plan" which should really be a big deal on all those electro blogs.
Our show was OK. It was one of those shows where I wished more people had shown up. I was kind of surprised considering this was our first West Hollywood show with our new lineup. But I know that a lot of people don't like coming to the Sunset Strip. Yes, it's famous and many bands got their start on the Strip, but there's no parking so you end up paying a lot to park in a lot, and then there's the cover charge and the exorbitant drink prices and of course the "attitude" so I understand why some people want to skip it. But still, I thought more people would come out. The set was pretty tight so I was happy with that. At one point, I said that I felt out of place being the only guy on stage so I thought I'd just join the girls, and then I took off my pants and had a skirt on underneath with fishnet tights. Everyone laughed and cheered. I hadn't even told my band members cause I wanted it to be a surprise. It was quite a challenge trying to hide the skirt underneath a pair of jeans.
Charley, the guy from LMU who is going to be recording our next demo to fulfill his class assignment, talked to me afterward to get some specific information for our recording session. He was a really nice guy and I am excited that he's going to be working with us.
Then, we went back to our place and invited the rest of the band, Hoagie, and a couple other people from the club including a girl named Alex who had just moved to the area and just happened to come to the club tonight. We had a little afterhours party but it died down fairly soon and we went to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 71
Patty Duke Fanzine #4. I am a huge Patty Duke fan, and when I discovered this oddity at Amoeba I picked it up. It's a fanzine that comes with a 7" vinyl single (actually, mine came with 2 discs) of obscure indie bands covering Patty Duke-related songs, which generally means songs that Patty Duke recorded (yes, she put out albums back in the day), or were in the movies she was in or her TV show. So, I kept the records but I didn't need to keep the fanzine part of it. Interesting side note - after I got the record, I was really excited for Shitting Glitter to submit our own song for the Fanzine, so I worked up music for a cover of "It's Impossible" from the film Valley of the Dolls. Unfortunately, it never ended up coming together.

Comments

swivek said…
You want to cover "It's Impossible" - whose going to sing that crazy ass song, it's a rib killer. But I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!