An Evening with Modern Family

I met with one of my stakeholders who took me out to lunch today. He had a lot of really good ideas about things I can do in the District, and in our newsletter. Hopefully I can implement some of his ideas soon. It was also nice to catch up with him as he was one of the board members when I first got hired here in 2002, but he hasn't been on the board since 2005.
After lunch, I went across the street to Frosted, a new "cupcakery" in the BID. It's a bright blue building on the corner of Highland and Lexington and they have delicious and beautiful cupcakes. I splurged and had two different kinds, the Orange Cream and the Neapolitan. Yummy!
After work I went over to Amy's and then we walked to the Subway. It was nice walking through Hollywood and it was the first time I'd been to the Hollywood/Vine Metro Station since the new W Hotel has been finished; it's quite impressive but a little odd to see a huge high-end hotel opening in this economy.
We got to North Hollywood around 6:30 and met Dylan in the courtyard of the Academy and he let us in to the VIP reception. We were there for An Evening with Modern Family, which we were all so excited for as it's our favorite new show (I've mentioned it here before several times). The Academy often does these events where they have the cast and crew of a program there to show and episode and then do a panel Q & A after. The reception was really fun; the food was scrumptious. There were two different salads, roasted veggies, asparagus, Kobe Beef meatloaf, some type of a fish, and a smashed pea ravioli. As usual at TV Academy events, there was Grey Goose vodka and Beaulieu (I almost spelled that right without having to look it up) Vineyards wine - open bar, of course. Then we made our way to the Theatre for the show. The episode they played was hilarious - one of the best ones yet. I won't give any of it away, because as I found out later, it wasn't the episode that was shown tonight so it's yet to be aired.
The Q & A was hosted by Tom Bergeron from Dancing with the Stars and featured the entire 10-person main cast, the writer, director, and producer of the show and they were all really witty and insightful, and often hilarious! It was Julie Bowen's birthday so near the beginning of the discussion we all sang happy birthday to her. She looked really good; they all did, in fact. It was such a fun night to be a part of because the show is such a 'hit' and such a well-written, entertaining, and warm show and the cast seemed to all be genuine nice people.
We went home afterward and Dylan and I ended up watching the episode that had aired tonight which was good, but not as uproarious as the one they had played at the Academy. After that we watched the Sarah Silverman Program that we had missed last week, which dealt with gay marriage and was really hilarious. In it, Sarah gets annoyed by the campaign to elect Toby Grossnickel as major of Valley Village, so she starts a fake campaign for "May Kadoody" because of how that name sounds phonetically. To her surprise and amusement, her write-in candidate actually gets the most votes, but at the press conference she and Brian watch on TV, they announce that this was obviously a prank so Grossnickel will be sworn in. However, all of a sudden a blond woman enters the press conference and announces that she is, in fact, May Kadoody. What ensues is her first proclamation as mayor which includes banning gay marriage in Valley Village as she goes on an anti-gay tirade, to Sarah's horror. Sarah must now figure out how to remove Kadoody from office, but as her sister says, it's much easy to just vote for the right person in the first place - "oh well, now you'll know for next time!"
I love how Silverman can use such crude potty-humor to actually make very astute social commentary that is as funny as it is provocative.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 61
I don't know if this should count or not, but I had bought a shirt and pair of pants for the Invisible Material video shoot, fully intending to just throw them away after the shoot. However, everyone seemed to really like the shirt, and the pants were actually quite nice and could have been good work pants. After the video, I thought maybe I could salvage them if I pre-soaked them and then washed them good. So, I hung on to them, letting them dry in the bathtub and then I finally did laundry and put them in after rinsing them out and soaking them in stain remover. However, they still had paint all over them after I took them out of the washing machine so I just threw them away.

Comments

swivek said…
That is crazy about the Modern Family thing cause we went last week to the Paley Festival with Modern Family. We ended up seeing the episode that aired this week. I love all the people in that show. We didn't have free food and booze, but we did have discount booze.
Scarlet said…
What fun! We have been enjoying Modern Family so it was cool to hear that you got to their event!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!