whats the matter with invisible material

There was this YouTube video that has gone viral, of these deaf guys who were shopping at Forever 21 at Hollywood & Highland, and then the security guys are attacking them, holding one of them on the ground and basically strangling him, while the other guy is trying to let them know that they are deaf. The way it looks, the deaf guys were possibly innocent and the guards are just going crazy on them. Unfortunately, our BID Security guys come in later to do crown control, and because people on the internet are of course, completely stupid, some people are thinking that our guys had something to do with this, even though it's clear in the video that they do not come in until the very end and had nothing to do with the incident itself.
As it was, we had a security committee meeting scheduled for today, so we talked about that a little at the meeting, but there were other things going on too, so it ended up not being that big of a deal.
We had a staff meeting in the afternoon, which I always enjoy now. Since I was a staff of One at the Media District, it's really refreshing to be able to get together with the other people in my new office to discuss what we're all working on, what's coming up, and bounce ideas off each other. Especially in our awesome new conference room!
After work, I had planned to go to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Mixer, which was at Hollywood and Highland. But the pathetic thing was, I didn't have any cash - at all. I had less than $10 in my bank account and it costs $10 to get in. I am just horrible with money, and although I'm getting better, I still have issues from time to time. I have money on my credit card but I didn't want to get cash from there because the fee is so high. So, I decided just to walk around Hollywood and wait for Brandon since we were meeting later to have the big Invisible Material conversation with Robin and Ben. I had chosen this new bar on Hollywood Blvd. called Loaded, since it's a rock n' roll bar, I thought it would be appropriate.
Brandon got to Hollywood shortly after 8, having rode the bus from Atwater. We went up to my new office so I could show it off to him first, and then we walked down to Loaded where Ben soon met us. We didn't have much time to talk before Robin showed up - we were all on time for once.
Robin asked what this meeting was about, and so Ben went first and explained how he had been feeling about the band lately. He talked pretty fast, said quite a bit, and then closed by saying he just felt it was time for him to "bow out." I was a little shocked. I knew Ben was unhappy and I know he's not the type to mess around, but I didn't know he was just going to definitively quit. It seemed to create a domino effect, because then after he was done talking, Brandon started talking and ended up saying he was done also. There was some discussion after this, but ultimately it turned out that Brandon and Ben both quit the band. So, when it came to me, I just said I wasn't ready to quit, although before I had just sort of assumed that I would not continue to be in the band if Brandon wasn't. I didn't really want to end it like that, making Robin come meet us on Hollywood Blvd. just to tell him we were all quitting, plus I really liked playing the drums and having an opportunity to improve at that. So, Robin and I agreed to carry on, and then he left, and I hung out with Brandon and Ben there to have one more drink. We all pretty much agreed to keep jamming together also, although in my mind I was thinking, now I'm just piling on more musical commitments; I had just taken a hiatus from SG because my schedule is so tight now, and now Invisible Material had regenerated into two bands, sort of. I guess we'll see how this continues to unfold.
After the meeting, Brandon and I walked Ben to the metro stop at Vine and Hollywood, and then I drove Brandon and we went to his old apartment building in WeHo to hang out with Jennn, who still lives there, and he and Angie's old roommate, Adrienne. Angie was already there when we arrived. Of course they were all wanting to hear what had happened at the band meeting, and were pretty surprised with the results.
We hung out there for awhile, which was fun. I had a couple glasses of wine but that was it. Finally, Angie and Brandon decided to leave so I went home too, and told Dylan all about what had happened.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 222
Devo "Now it Can be Told" Cassette album. I got this tape in Wichita the summer my cousin Travis was in the hospital after a bad car accident. I loved this album, but it's kind of a weird place to start a Devo collection - it's a live album from the end of the 80's. But, it got me into them and from there I started collecting their other albums. I think I did have the 7" single for "Whip It" before this.

Comments

Scarlet said…
So what's happening now, anything different? Sorry to hear things got complicated for IM, how did Robin take the news?
Devin Tait said…
Obviously Robin was not happy but he listened to what everyone said and we are going to look for new players and try to keep moving forward. We had a fun rehearsal together last week just the two of us.
Tim said…
Dude,
Next time you are strapped for cash and want to go to a mixer, let me know!!! :)
Devin Tait said…
Aah, Tim I'm so embarrassed that you read that! I got paid the next day. Thankfully!
swivek said…
I wanna jam with you boys and my jamming I mean hang out and sing some la la las and doo doo doos

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!