Agnew

Yesterday, I lamented the closing of Del Taco. Today, I found out that my old dorm, Agnew Hall, had been demolished. This was very sad for me, because not only was it my first home after I moved out of my parents house (if you don't count me living in our old farmhouse for about 2 weeks right after high school graduation), and my mom also lived there when she went to FHSU. I still remember going in there for the first time, and being excited that I had a place that was mine and there were no parents there! My roommate, Jason, arrived a couple days after I was there, so I had the room to myself the first few nights. Dad helped me put in some carpet that we had ripped out of the living room of their house when they recarpeted, and I brought in my TV, stereo, microwave and dorm fridge and got it to be a pretty cool little place. I lived there my entire freshman year. Jason and I were very different people, we got a long fine but we never really bonded as friends. He had his life and I had mine, and often we didn't see each other except for when the other one was asleep.
Agnew was the only co-ed dorm on campus, and it was also probably the weirdest one, as one wing was for "non-traditional students" (as in those who hadn't just come to college from graduating high school - usually they were much older), and another wing was for females. The guys were in the middle. I never became friends with anyone else in the dorm because I was extremely busy working that year. I had some personal issues going on, mainly due to my first steps of acknowledging my gayness, and I was in therapy due to issues related to this. I thought that if I just kept myself busy all the time, I could stay out of trouble, so I worked like 60 hours a week at three different jobs, as well as taking a full class load and being on yearbook staff. It was a really hectic time for me, but it was fun a lot of the time.
When my freshman year came to a close, I decided not to move back home, but to keep living by myself. I didn't want an apartment, and couldn't afford my own house, so for some reason I decided I needed to live in a trailer home, so I found one at Meadow Acres that was like $265 a month - which still ended up being too expensive for me and I finally did move back home after about 6 months I think.
Oh Agnew Hall, I will miss you!

Comments

Scarlet said…
I am sad to hear it, too! I am also sad to hear that you had so much conflict your first year and that you couldn't just come and talk to us...but you did a good job of taking care of yourself and I have always admired you for that! I hope that in the future, you will understand we love you and will always be here for you.
Brandonbodt said…
I was just thinking about your trailer the other day. I remember I had a key and I could go there and play the guitar you bought. It was a cool feeling to have a brother who had a place of his own. I had no idea what I was doing with that damn guitar...
aes9999 said…
I remember the day you moved in to Agnew and I really remember the carpet part of it for some reason! I must have helped carry it in...
Ofcourse I'll never forget the trailer either. What an "interestging" home :)

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!