RIP, Prop H8

I met up with my predecessor at the Media District today for lunch at one of my favorite spots, Cafe Muse. He had some questions for me so I tried to help him out the best we could, but we also just talked about a lot of stuff too. It's definitely a little surreal, after having worked there for 8 years, to really ponder the fact that someone else is now doing that job. After we were finished, I got a red velvet cupcake to go, as usual, and talked to Jen about Kevin and I performing there so she asked me to send her an e-mail.
After work, I went to Prime Time, a dive bar on Santa Monica Blvd., near Western Ave. I had driven by the bar many times but never ventured in, but tonight I was to meet Angie and Brandon there to hang out with our friend Scott who runs the website www.findadeath.com and the Dearly Departed Tours, which is an amazing tour of Hollywood and the surrounding area focusing on celebrity deaths, scandals, and lots of other bits of history. Scott is a history buff in his niche area and it's always fascinating to get him to tell some stories.
The bar itself was pretty interesting. When we first got there, we were sitting at the bar and this drunk latino guy told me that he didn't speak much English, but "Music," he said, and pointed at Angie. It took a few minutes but we finally realized he was asking to dance with her. She politely declined and a few minutes later, the bartender was waking him up (he had passed out at the bar) and told him "NO SLEEPING IN HERE!"
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Prop 8, California's gay marriage ban, was overturned today in court by Judge Walker. It was big news. Huge. For some reason, although I was happy, I just wasn't overwhelmed. I think that I may have misrepresented myself before when I said I used to not care at all about politics. I think more accurately, I purposely remained detached from politics and similar matters because getting caught up in them would just equal frustration and heartbreak for me. When it comes down to it, my opinions are often unpopular with large sections of people, and growing up in Kansas, I know this all too well. So, while I was happy that Obama was elected, and that today the courts overturned Prop 8, by no means does that mean that things are suddenly better. For every victory, there is a big push back from opponents that just ruins it for me. I don't like to gloat, especially when I know the next thing will be something that goes against me. Also, as happy as I am that gays and lesbians are that much closer to attaining equality, it doesn't mean that we aren't still hated by millions. If there ever came a day when the majority of people treated gays and lesbians with respect, that would be a day to celebrate. As it was, I was kind of not into the whole celebration thing today and was glad to be hanging out on the east side with Scott, Brandon, and Angie, rather than celebrating in the park with the rest of the gays.
When Dylan got off work (he had a reception at the SLS Hotel after work), he really should have gone to the park in WeHo for the celebration because he was definitely ecstatic about the court ruling. Instead, he came and met us at Prime Time, and we all had a little too much to drink, and when we got home we sort of got into a big argument because I didn't want to watch any of the news coverage about Prop 8 and I had just really had enough. Stupid, I know. I finally apologized and went to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 214
Rolling Stone Magazine, April 17 2008. I clipped a few articles of interest to save in my music scrapbook, which I've been keeping since junior high.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!