Recording my Acoustic Songs

With the very scary impending reality of my first ever solo acoustic gig, I realized I needed to be more proactive and so I decided to record my acoustic set on the computer so that I could hear how it should sound. I moved the piano into the bedroom and hooked it up to the computer via MIDI cable, and recorded myself playing "Not in a Million Years," "Get Outta My Way" (by Kylie Minogue), "Winnipeg Beach," "Alien Nation," and "Ordinary World" (Duran Duran cover). I tried to not rely on the computer to edit the songs later; I really wanted to play them the right way and not have to correct anything later. So, it took me a few tries on some of the songs, but in the end I was pretty happy with how I did. Of course I did go in and fix some of the really bad mistakes, but I left the smaller ones in and I didn't quantize or anything like that - I wanted it to really sound like I was playing it live rather than producing it.
After I recorded the piano parts, I recorded the vocals, pretty much all in one take. I decided not to do the harmonies, since again, I wanted it to truly represent my live set.
I was thrilled with how everything turned out! I was actually really impressed with myself and felt better about the upcoming show, although I kept reminding myself that I need to practice, since I will have to actually play and sing at the same time.
I posted the songs on my SoundCloud page and then posted a couple of them on Facebook. Some people left some nice comments. I also e-mailed a couple venues I have been wanting to play at to send them the songs and ask for a gig.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 218
A.R.E. Weapons CD Case. I lost or destroyed the CD a long time ago, otherwise I would have taken it back to Amoeba after I bought it. I really hated this CD - it was hyped so much and it was just almost unlistenable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!