the living eckmaster

I've been procrastinating getting ready for my Emmys party on Sunday. Since Dylan is taking Adrienne to the show and the Governor's Ball after, I wanted to have a viewing party and make a dinner and everything, but after sending the initial invite out on Facebook I've been slacking. I finally decided to get my RSVP's together so I could have some idea of how many people to expect.
Meanwhile, we're also planning a trip to Catalina Island on Saturday for Angie's birthday. Since Adrienne is here, we wanted to do something fun and unique. Brandon and Adrienne have never been to Catalina, so it should be fun.
I got a little obsessed with reading about this other fake religion, Eckankar, which calls itself the "religion of the light and sound of God." I remember seeing their ads in the back of Rolling Stone back when I was an impressionable youth and always wanting to learn more about it. Now, everyday on my way to work I drive past their LA headquarters, in the Crossroads of the World on Sunset. Blvd. So I decided to look into it. Turns out, some guy who was initially involved in Scientology invented it, and it has a lot of similarities to Scientology, but is sort of the 'poor man's version' as it's just like $130 a year to join. After the guy who started it died, another guy took over and he's the one who grew it to a fairly sizable empire (apparently, there's even a branch in my old stomping grounds, Hays, Kansas), some other guy ousted him out of power and now he's been the "living eckmaster" ever since. Corny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!