Zodiac

It’s that time of year again. No, I’m not talking about Halloween (although it’s also that time of year) - it’s Electric Six time! I first heard of the E6 from this dumbass guy who managed a bar somewhere near the beach where I was trying to score a DJ gig after Gold 9 closed. I don’t remember anything else about that whole experience other than him asking me if I knew who Electric Six was. At the time, I felt like it was a test - and that I failed - because I had never heard of them. So of course I had to look them up, discovered their song “Danger! High Voltage!” and that supposedly it was Jack White singing the guest vocals. Since Dylan is a huge White Stripes / Jack White fan, I played it for him and he loved it. Some weeks later, we found out White Stripes were playing some show that we tried to get tickets for and it was sold out. I found out that Electric Six happened to be playing the same night, so we bought tickets for that instead. At some point, Dylan bought their album “Fire” which we loved to pieces and quickly spread the word to our friends. Well, it turned out that after all, Dylan had to work that night so he wouldn’t have been able to go to the White Stripes show anyway, but Brandon volunteered to go with me to the E6 show, which was clear out in Pomona at the Glass House. The show was great, and we were hooked from that moment on! Dylan and I ended up going to see them a few nights later when they played the Troubadour in LA, and that was the night I first met Tait, the keyboard player, who was so nice to me and told me to e-mail him, promising he would e-mail me back. Well, throughout the years we have seen them pretty much every year - starting around the time their 2nd album came out, they began a pattern of releasing an album every fall and playing at the Key Club in West Hollywood every October. So, it’s that time of year!
After work, Brandon and Angie came over and then we drove down to Marc’s house. We decided to get a taxi up to the club since Angie was wearing heels - usually I just walk up there. I thought it might be a little awkward because Amy, AJ, Kristahn and Laura were going to be there too, but they came down and Amy said hi to all of us, even Angie, so things seemed fine. Amy always goes upstairs to watch the show anyway, whereas the rest of us like to be down on the floor. Dylan rotated back and forth.
The show was great. I didn’t know any of the new songs, because I was waiting to buy the album on white vinyl, which was only available at shows. I also still don’t really know the songs on the last album (“Kill”) because, since I had bought all the other albums except the first one, Dylan said he would buy that one... and I’m still waiting over a year later.
Before the encore, I went downstairs to buy the record, and I also got a 7” single too. Then I went upstairs and hung out with the girls since I didn’t want anything to happen to the record.
After the show, we went back to Marc’s and everyone just decided to go home. I went to Los Tacos to get some chicken crispy tacos, and got a beer at 7-11, but ended up falling asleep before I could drink all of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!