Let Me In

"Grown Man Cries" was featured on another blog today - again, through my promotional efforts! It was on the Paradise Educated blog, ran by a lady named Onnalee who I have become friends with, even though I never knew her when she lived in Paradise because she left before I was born. It was nice to get some recognition there for my hometown folks to see.
I rode the subway up to North Hollywood after work to meet Dylan, Brandon and Angie at the TV Academy to see “Let Me In,” which is an American remake of “Let the Right One In,” a Swedish film Dylan and I had gotten from NetFlix a year ago or more. I really liked the original film, although the version we saw was dubbed in English, which didn’t bother me that much but was a little distracting at times. I was really happy with the new version, despite my initial misgivings. The lead actress, Chloe Moretz, had also played “Hitgirl” in the movie “Kick Ass” and I really loved her in that, so I was excited to see her in this role, and I thought she was wonderful. The boy in the film was awesome though - he conveyed so much emotion so effortlessly. The whole thing seemed very appropriate for the moment too, because bullying has been in the news so much lately. The boy character, Owen, has a crappy home life (interestingly they never actually really show his mother’s face in the film) but an even crappier life at school where he is relentlessly bullied by this other kid for whatever reason - I guess the kid is bullied by his older brother so he takes it out on Owen, although it didn’t make too much sense then that his brother came to his aid later in the film. But, if I know anything about bullying (and I grew up as a gay kid in rural Kansas so, believe me, I do know) there doesn’t need to be any rhyme or reason to it. I think this film poignantly illustrated that: Owen could have been perceived as “gay” or “feminine” by his tormentor(s), but it was really beside the point. He didn’t seem to be gay, as he seemed to be attracted to Abby (Moretz), but he also didn’t seem at all troubled when Abby tells him that she isn’t necessarily a “girl.” In this day and age where people are feeling free to express their gender fluidity at younger and younger ages, it’s the refusal to adhere to established societal norms that really riles up conservatives and homophobes. People are not black and white - although obviously that’s how we were represented on television back in the 1950’s, which is where many of these “societal norms” derived from. It’s sad that this type of behavior, hatred, and confusion continues to be passed down from generation to generation. In the film, Owen is encouraged by Abby to stand up for himself, and ultimately he does - but it’s not enough. That’s the thing about bullying - it’s a no win situation if you decide to fight back, because then not only are you succumbing to “their” level, but you also risk escalating the situation. That’s why it’s so important to discourage bullying before it begins, and for adults and others around the situation to have absolutely zero tolerance for it.

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 285
...coming soon.

Comments

aes9999 said…
Well put, brother. All we need is love!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!