Rock Climbing at Joshua Tree

Everyone woke up pretty early and in Camp Lesbo we had quite the breakfast spread going on. We had brought our own stuff, so I had a couple pop tarts and then cooked some eggs and sausage on one of the camp stoves the girls had brought.
Dylan was in a huge hurry to get to the rock climbing site, so we ended up forgetting a few crucial things (the cooler, our food, etc) but it was fine. We all staked out this nice shaded area to set up in, and I ended up reading a lot in my book, “Blown for Good,” a Scientology expose which I ended up finishing later in the day.
Chris, Dylan’s brother in law, had set up the rock climbing ropes with his friends and people were climbing all morning. Dylan finally decided it was his turn so I went with him and took the camera so I could capture the action. He did a really good job scaling a really steep rcck! There was also this little girl, couldn’t have been more than 3 or so, who climbed and it was so cute, she laughed and smiled the whole way up. She even went further than they had intended because once she got to her dad, she just kept going up past him! After that, I was ready to climb so I got harnessed in, put on the rock climbing shoes, and had a quick lesson from Chris. Finally, I was ready to go. I picked the easiest route since it was my first time. It still ended up being a challenge. Sometimes I didn’t know where to put my feet or how to hold my body, or how much to rely on my hands. But, I made it to the top even though for awhile I thought I might quit before I reached it. It was a great feeling when I got to the top, but going down was a little scary. I kept worrying that the rope would break and I’d fall down, but it was all OK.
After the climb I decided to relax and have a few beers. Dylan ended up climbing a second time, but once was enough for me. I was really proud of him, though. It sprinkled a little throughout the afternoon but never started raining.
When we were trying to leave my car wouldn’t start which really bummed me out. Luckily the plethora of lesbians around meant that one of them was really knowledgeable with cars, diagnosed the problem as being a fuel clog, and had Dylan rev the engine while in park (it would start, but would die when we put it in drive). That ended up working and we were back on our way back to the campsite.
I had been having problems with my eyes; I thought it was that sunscreen got in them but then it just kept getting worse. I took out my contacts and put on my glasses but they still kept stinging and watering. The campfire certainly didn’t help. I stayed up til the sun went down and we had dinner and some drinks, but I kept going back to the tent to lay down. Dylan would come get me and I’d try to hang out more, but I was no fun as I also had a horrible headache and I really just wanted to lay down. Being outside all day in the desert had taken a toll on me. I ended up falling in and out of sleep, listening to Dylan and the girls having a good ol’ time by the campfire but unable to pick myself up and join them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!