Belle & Sebastian

Since we were at Brandon and Angie's when we woke up, we stayed and had brunch and watched True Blood - now we're caught up except for the very last episode.
We went home and then we went back to Hollywood to Kitchen 24 for Happy Hour. We meant to go to our friend Rafael's fund raising event for gay and lesbian elder housing. Triangle Square, the apartment building for LGBT seniors, is right next to my work's parking lot, and we thought the fundraiser was there, but when we got there we couldn't find anyone. Turns out the event was down in Hancock park at a private residence. Since we were already in Hollywood we just decided to hit the K24 Happy Hour.
Gary, Dylan's co-worker, was meeting us for drinks before the Belle & Sebastian show that we all had tickets to at the Palladium. So we hung out there and then Gary's friend came and met us too.
We all walked over to the Palladium together but soon after that we got separated. The crowd was really big and by the time we got there, the opening act, Jenny (Lewis) and some other guy, were already playing so we were back near the back. People kept cutting in front of us, pushing us out of the way to walk by us, or just bumping in to us. It was really annoying, so by the time some girl thought she'd be cute and elbow Dylan and try to "dance" with him while she was moving her way in front of him, he had had enough and went off on her. It was uncomfortable and then the guys they were with said something vaguely almost homophobic (but not quite maybe - I don't really know because I was just trying to ignore them. Right when Belle and Sebastian were starting, our friend Rafael and his friend found us, but then I felt weird that we had just made a big deal about people cutting in front of us and then our friends come and join us! The thing I hate about concerts is that I'm so tall that no matter where I stand, I seem to be in someone's way, even if I was there before they were, they tend to get upset at me for being tall. I'm sure any short person would scoff at me for complaining about it, because really I do like being tall and being able to see, but it's almost not worth the grief I get from short people standing behind me. Most of whom just try to sneak around and cut in front of me anyhow. This crowd was really annoying too, pushing and moving around - this one presumably straight guy came and shoved his way right in front of me SO CLOSE that you'd think he was my boyfriend instead of Dylan. He was seriously backing his ass right up into my crotch. Finally, Dylan left and so I stood there for awhile but then I decided to go to the restroom and after that I hung out in the lobby for awhile. I'm not even that big of a fan of Belle & Sebastian (Dylan is) so I was getting kind of annoyed with even being there by this point. Finally, Dylan texted me that he had gone up to the balcony and it was roomier up there, so I went and joined him. Even though we were clear back almost behind the band, it was actually a better view and more fun up there.
I think Dylan had a good time when all was said and done, but I also think he expected something different than what the show was, because he has always held Belle & Sebastian in such a mythical regard that seeing them live, with all their rabid fans, was sort of disappointing to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!