Demented Disney

I woke up as early as I could since I had so many things I wanted to get done. I didn’t have anything for my costume yet except the pants. First I went to rite-aid and got a pink and purple wig, fingernail polish, and stuff to make breakfast (milk and eggs). I went back home and we had breakfast and then I went back out shopping. Drove to Hollywood, starting at the Giant Dollar and the special store where I got some accessories for my outfit including a necklace, scarf, kittie cat ears, and the little animal collars to wear on my arms and leg. Then I went to Out of the Closet on Sunset but couldn’t find anything there. I parked on Selma and went to Hollywood Toy & Costume - they didn’t have anything I needed so i walked up and down the Blvd. and found a little wig shop which had the purple and pink extensions I had found the other day, and also picked up some yellow and red cat-eye contacts lenses there and a tube of purple lipstick. Went to Iguana but couldn’t find anything. So then I headed back towards home, tried to go to the Out of the Closet on Fairfax but there was no parking so proceeded to the Goodwill on Beverly and Hayworth. It was there I finally found a shirt that could work, in the women’s section, a pink and grey striped shirt and a separate purple thermal to wear under it. Back at home, I took the scissors and made some horizontal cuts in the outer shirt so the purple would show through. I tried the whole thing on and it looked great, so I took it off so I could hop in the shower. After I had a small meltdown about Dylan not dressing up for the party (which I’m sure was brought on more by my nerves about the show than anything else), Brandon and Angie came over to get ready and so Brandon could load up all the equipment and take it to the Palms.
I ended up getting there around 8:00 even though we couldn’t set up until 9, which was a change of plans since originally we were going to play at 8pm but there was a drag show/contest thing that nobody seemed to realize was going on until a few hours ago when Robert called me and told me we wouldn’t be able to set up until it was over. Brandon was a little stressed out by that since we were hoping to be able to set up and do a sound check and then have time to get in our costumes. Anyway we went with the flow, and the drag queens were finished right around 9pm so we set up the stage with our equipment right afterward.
Since it was club Blender’s Demented Disney costume party, Brandon made this little intro music to play before and during the time we took the stage. My costume was the Cheshire Cat from Alice and Wonderland (the animated version) but it was based on an image I found online which was actually a virtual costume for a character in some internet role-playing game. Brandon was Prince Charming, Angela was Sinderella, and Elene was Tinkerhell. We all looked really cute!
The first song was “Tape” which I had some problems with because it’s really low so it’s not as easy to sing, and I started a little late. I did OK because I listened for the cues and realized I was late so I just took the last line “like tape” off of each of the first two stanzas, which then resulted in me being in the right place again by the time the chorus came around. Because my costume involved the yellow cat eye contact lenses, I couldn’t see anything, which I figured was for the best. I was a little disappointed with the turn out - as usual, lots of people who said they were coming didn’t show up, so I was glad that I couldn’t really see who was there and who wasn’t. I did really appreciate the people who did come out.
The next song was “Not in a Million Years” which Angie came up on stage to sing on which was good, the song went really well. There are some really high notes in it that are difficult for me to hit but I thought I did OK. After that was “Bridge to Nowhere” which went really well.
Next was “Get Outta My Way”, the Kylie cover, which I was nervous about since Brent was there and he is such a huge Kylie fan - but he told me afterward that I did a good job on it, so I shouldn’t have worried I guess. Then we did “Alien Nation” which was difficult. I was already out of breath from the Kylie song, and “Alien Nation” is really difficult and requires a lot of breath. By this point I was hot, sweaty, and running out of energy, but I didn’t want that to show. The next song was “Digital Representation” which is not as hard, and it’s really upbeat so it got me pumped up again. Right when that was over, it went directly into “Ordinary World” with not much time to rest. I thought I did OK on it although my vocals were a little pitchy at spots.
Afterward we cleared the instruments of the stage and then just enjoyed the rest of the evening. People said some really nice things to us, which was great, and one lady approached me at the bar and had some questions for me and got my phone number, saying she might be interested in managing me. She recommended that I take some dance classes so I could have some more choreographed moves, which I totally agree with.
I talked to a lot of people that night and had a really great time. Some of the costumes that were really good were Piglet (Ben), Ursula (VIcky Boofont), and Demented Pooh Bear (Marc). It was a lot of fun.
Afterward Dylan dropped me off at Los Tacos and the line was out the door. I was like “is this the line?” and this straight guy who was at the end said something back in a really mocking tone of voice that was supposed to be a “gay voice” with a lisp and everything. But I was too hungry to let that deter me, so I just made some sarcastic comment back in the same “gay” voice and he ended up laughing and telling me I was “alright” and then added that he is “totally cool with gay people” to which I said he had better be, because he is in West Hollywood, after all. We ended up talking the whole time we waited in line, and it was funny because these two queens behind me started making fun of both me and the straight guy (they said “what’s up David Schwemmer” to him).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!