Robin Hood

For a Sunday it was a pretty full day. We woke up and I had to get around pretty quickly to be up to Ben's for Invisible Material rehearsal. On the way, I stopped at 7-11 to get some beers, and got a 12 pack of "Game Day Light," which became somewhat of a punchline.
We ripped through our set for Las Vegas a couple times and it was sounding pretty good. We still could tighten up the endings of some of the songs but overall it seemed that we're pretty much ready. Ben picked out the set list and he did a great job.
After we rehearsed, Brandon and Robin left but I stayed for awhile to hang out because I was going to meet Robin and Michelle at the TV Academy to watch the new Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie starring Russell Crowe. Dylan didn't really want to see it, so he rode his bike all the way over to Brandon and Angie's, so I was going to meet them after the movie.
As I was driving from Ben's to the Academy, it occurred to me that I was driving across the valley last weekend too. I actually miss driving around the valley sometimes, since it's where I first landed when I moved to LA. Something about it is just so comforting and familiar, even if I don't know the order of the streets as well as I used to.
I ended up getting to North Hollywood with a little time to spare, so I was going to go to Big Wangs and get a beer, but apparently it was "Game Day" because the place was packed! I didn't want to mess with the crowds so I just went to the theatre and waited. Robin and Michelle got there a few minutes before the doors shut but we still got pretty great seats.
I have to say I loved the movie. I know a lot of people said they didn't like it, especially the critics; it got horrible reviews. But I try not to let reviews sway me and in this case I'm glad I didn't. I don't really have any affinity for the traditional Robin Hood story; I honestly don't really even remember much about it other than 'stealing from the rich and giving to the poor' and I already knew this movie was more of an 'origins' story. So maybe I just didn't have preconceived notions of what the movie should be or anything like that. Anyway, at first it was sort of difficult to follow everything but I've seen enough movies to know that if you just pay attention, at some point it should start making sense, and it did. And then I got really engrossed in the story and the action, and it went by really fast. I definitely enjoyed it.
After the movie, I went and met Dylan, Brandon and Angie at their place and Angie was making dinner. We ate out on their patio which they have done a lot of work on; it's looking so nice out there! We had stir fry and rice, it was all delicious. After visiting awhile (and going over to say hi to Rebecca and Loren) we watched the finale of "Lost" since Brandon and Angie watch the show and have been waiting for the finale for awhile. I only watched the first couple seasons and I had to stop at some point because Dylan would come watch with me and yell things at the screen because he thought it was stupid. So I had to give it up cause I couldn't get excited about it and watch it without him sort of ruining it - when it's a show like that, I need to be able to watch it in silence or at least with someone else who is equally as into it. But I was glad to watch the finale and it reminded me of when the Twin Peaks finale aired and how that was such an event to me. I miss being that involved in a television drama.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 142
"Here's to Future Days" by The Thompson Twins, cassette tape. If you've been following my blog, you may have already noticed that Log Entry #32 on February 1st already dealt with, although that was a vinyl copy. So I don't really have anything to add to it other than to say that this was probably my original copy of this album and I think I got it for Christmas from either my siblings, parents, or cousins (remember, I was good about getting tapes I wanted as gifts). Still love the album but again, I recently got the remastered 2-CD set that was just released, and I still have a vinyl copy too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!