Garage Sale

I slept in and then at some point (1:15pm!) I finally got up and said "why did you let me sleep so late?" Dylan said "you better be talking to your alarm clock."
I warmed up some leftover from brunch yesterday and then Dylan and I got ready and picked Marc up to go to Amoeba's first "garage sale." We didn't know what to expect but our friend Adrienne who works there did text us to let us know it would indeed be in the garage, after having told us the other night at El Coyote that she didn't think it was.
Dylan had some records in a crate that he wanted to trade in so I helped him carry them in but then I went right down to the sale. I ran into Adrienne and her boyfriend Quinn while I was entering the garage. There were so many people down there and there were boxes everywhere, many of them on the floor, and the lighting wasn't the greatest so it was kind of difficult to really go through everything. I went through quite a few boxes of 45's and CD's without really finding anything I wanted. Plus, I was really broke, so it was hard to get too excited about shopping when you have no money. I did have fun going through the laserdiscs since I had just hooked our laserdisc player up again the other night, but in the end I only found one that I wanted to buy - Wes Craven's New Nightmare, which is one of the Nightmare on Elm Street sequels that I've never seen before. Dylan got a stack of about 5 laserdiscs.
We looked upstairs at the regular stock and Dylan found a few more CD's and records that he wanted, so I let him use the store credit we had gotten from the last time we traded in vinyl, since I couldn't really find anything I wanted and I was just going to listen to his anyway. He got the new MGMT album, Congratulations, which I had been wanting. He also corrected me the other day when I thought their last album was called 'Oracle Spectacular'... sometimes I really miss out on obvious details (it's really 'Oracular Spectacular,' so it rhymes - get it?!?). He also got She & Him Vol. 2 on new vinyl!!! It comes with a free digital download so we can put it in the iTunes too. I love Zooey Deschanel, even though her music is a little mellow and folksy for me sometimes, it's nice to have on when you're in a carefree mood, or when you're having dinner.
After Amoeba, we stopped at home for a little bit and then Marc and Bun came over so we could go to the Drive In. Angie, Brandon, Rebecca and Loren met us there. This time, I drew a map and wrote down exact directions how to get to the Long John Silvers and then how to get from there to the drive in. It turned out to be a Long John's/A&W that Dylan and I had been to before, near a Wal-Mart that Marc and Robert go to often. I should have known there were not any Long John's left in the LA area that I haven't already found! It was like the slowest fast food ever though - one guy just sort of stood around looking clueless, another one looked like he was going to 'get around' to cooking our food whenever he felt like it, so the guy who took our order ended up making most of it too. Apparently he was the only one who actually seemed to care whether the food got made or not.
The first movie we saw "A Nightmare on Elm Street" which is sort of a remake of the original 1984 movie but updated for the times. I really enjoyed the new version of "Friday the 13th" because as much as I enjoy those horror franchises, the early movies were pretty low budget and not really something to be precious about. I mainly like the concepts, so I can appreciate the new, bigger budget versions. However, this one didn't do too much for me. It was OK, but it was really predictable and not really scary. I liked Jackie Earle Haley as Freddie but something about the movie just fell a little flat. It could have been watching it at the drive in, because some films don't work as well in that environment. It might have been better at home, cuddled up on the couch in the dark.
Then we all moved over to another screen to watch "Kick Ass" which was the movie most everyone was really excited for. Dylan and I have been wanting to see it because we are planning to dress us as Hit Girl (he) and Red Mist (me). We saw the pictures in Entertainment Weekly but neither of us read much about it because we wanted to see it first. So it was funny to watch who our characters really were! We were surprised that Nicolas Cage was in the movie, and that it was so good! We all really enjoyed it.
Luckily, Dylan drove us home because I had once again had a little too much too drink but at least I had managed to meet my goal of not drinking as much as I did last time we went to the drive in!

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 120
"Body Mind Soul" by Debbie Gibson, cassette tape. I never liked Debbie as much as Tiffany, as anyone who knows me would already know, but I did collect her tapes for a time. I never really got into this one though. My only funny association with this album is that in high school, Marla, the yearbook editor my first year on staff, had suggested this album title as the theme for our yearbook. The idea was quickly shot down, but it struck me as very odd since Marla didn't seem the type to listen to Ms. Gibson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!