Susan's Wedding

I definitely regretted all the drinks I had last night when I made myself roll out of bed this morning so I could get ready for Invisible Material rehearsal, which was pretty difficult to get through in my condition, but I got better and more alert as it went on.
Then I drove across the valley as Susan was getting married in North Hollywood. I stopped at Sears on the way to get a photo album as a wedding gift, and then Dylan texted me that he was having a drink at Bullet and asked me to meet him there, so I did. I hadn't been to the Bullet in ages. It's right on Burbank Blvd., just a few blocks from where I used to live with Dudley on Vineland. Back when I lived there, it was one of several gay bars on the strip that I used to walk to, including Rawhide, which is now Cobra; Jox, which is now a straight bar but was where Shitting Glitter's first two gigs were; Silver Rail; and Moonshadow, a lesbian bar we played at several times which is now closing. I think the last time I was at Bullet was when we played there for the movie premiere of "Succubus," a short film that featured our song "Strapping."
From there we went to the studio where the wedding was being held, but it didn't end up starting for at least an hour. It was a really nice, short ceremony with an intimate crowd. Susan's husband, Jeff, is from Australia and his dad had flown all the way over for the wedding, and her former assistant Tracy came all the way from New York. Robin and Michele were the bartenders, and my friend Barry, who shot the photos on the Shitting Glitter CD, was the photographer. The dinner was delicious and then we all went inside for the dance. We had a really good time and I think Susan enjoyed her wedding. Dylan was very well behaved, despite his feelings about "opposite marriages" which he calls civil unions and usually refuses to acknowledge since we don't have the same rights as heterosexuals when it comes to marriage. I don't like it either, but I knew it would be really important to Susan for us to be there so I convinced him to come and try to have a good time.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 135
"Martika" self-titled debut album on cassette tape. I never had this tape when it first came out because my little sister Adrienne had it so I just listened to hers. I bought my copy much later, after I moved to LA. Martika was supposed to play at LA Pride a few years back but for some reason it didn't work out. Although she came along after Tiffany and Debbie Gibson had already started to lose popularity, I did always love her cover of Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move" as well as her hit "Toy Soldiers" and the album track "If You're Tarzan, I'm Jane."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!