I Made It Into The Times!

Well, this day will forever live on in my memory as it was today, just short of 10 years after I moved to Los Angeles, that I finally made it into the LA Times, the main local newspaper here! While doing our Homeless Registry last month, a photographer and reporter accompanied my team so I was hoping that I would be included, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. First off, I was just honored that those in charge of the registry chose to have the Times people go out with me team. But the fact that there, in print, was a photo of me - sitting on the sidewalk interviewing a homeless person - I was just dumbfounded and completely honored.
I got the e-mail from Kerry Morrison, Director of the Hollywood Property Owner's Alliance (and one of the driving forces behind Hollywood 4RWD, who organized the Registry) with a link to the article. There were a few pictures of me on the online slideshow, but it was my friend Josep who commented on my Facebook Page that I was also in the print edition, so I had to run out and buy my copy right away.
I have to say, that when I left Kansas and moved to LA, never in a million years would I have suspected that I would have my picture in the LA Times, and much less for charitable work. I had never volunteered for anything really before, and we didn't have more than one homeless person back in Hays, KS (the one we did have we all affectionately referred to as "Thunderbird Bob.")
Anyway, it was a very proud day for me and it made me feel very fulfilled, especially because May is the month that I graduated from FHSU 10 years ago and made the decision to uproot my life and move to the west coast.
After work, we had boot camp at Plummer Park and this time I didn't feel like throwing up - so I was very happy with myself!

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 131
"Fascination" by The Human League, cassette tape EP. I can't remember at this point if I had bought this tape when I was younger or later in life, but I do know I definitely also own it on vinyl which I much prefer. This was supposed to be the follow up album to "Dare(!)" but the band was having difficulties finishing new material so instead this was released as an EP here in the states, and the singles were just released individually in the UK. "(Keep Feeling) Fascination" is one of my favorite Human League songs, but one of the album tracks, "You Remind Me of Gold" has a special place in my heart since it's one of the lesser-known (or lesser-played) songs.

Comments

Dylan said…
Oh man, I am so proud of you! It's a really good thing to get rid of those old cassette tapes... Just kidding, I'm not talking about the tapes, I'm talking about the L.A. Times article! It's hanging right here on my cubicle wall. And isn't it nice to get in there for charity work and not for an indictment for insider trading or something? Great job hun, I'm sure this is just the beginning of lots more awesome mentions!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!