Be careful where you park!

Dylan took a half day off work so he could take his mom to a Doctor's appointment, and to get her car out of impound. I can't remember if I mentioned that her car had been stolen while parked in North Hollywood; on Mother's Day, LAPD called her to say they had found it, but that it had been involved in a wreck on the 5 freeway. We were worried that it was totalled, but Dylan said it wasn't as bad as they had said and that she was able to drive it home.
I went to Susan's to cut checks today, but she was out with Jeff picking out their wedding cake! They are getting married on Sunday. I'm really happy for her.
As I was leaving, Laura called me and said she was stuck downtown. She had gone down for her background check and interview for the security job with Hollywood Media District that I referred her for, but when she came out to put money in the meter, her car was gone. She said it had been stolen, but knowing what I do about parking in downtown LA, I figured it was much more likely that it had been towed. I drove down to pick her up; traffic was thankfully pretty light headed that direction - it was pretty much rush hour, but most the traffic is going away from downtown after the work day. By the time I picked her up, she had already found out that her car had indeed been towed, not stolen, although that news didn't seem to make her feel any better. I drove her back to our place so she could hang out and figure out what to do next.
Today was day 2 of boot camp after work, which meant that we did Runyon Canyon, and Dylan came this time. I actually really enjoyed being back at the canyon and thankfully he only had us do the stairs this time instead of going up 'big mamma,' which is what we usually did on the first day. It's good to change things up!
When I got home, Laura was gone but she left a note thanking me. Later, Amy called to say she had gone over to her place so she was fine, and that she was going to take her to get her car back tomorrow.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 130
"Dare" (or "Dare!" as it was known in the US) by The Human League, cassette tape. This is of course The Human League's quintessential album, containing their massive hit "Don't You Want Me" which is still played on the radio, in clubs, and on television to this day. It was their third album and was released in 1981 in the UK and a year later in the US, and being that I was only 5 at the time, I obviously didn't know about it when it first came out. It was several years later, probably when I was 10, when I was getting into various new wave and synth-pop bands due to MTV and the radio. The first album of theirs I heard was actually 1986's "Crash" which was relatively new by the time I heard it. I borrowed that tape from my friend Angie Dewey. The first album of theirs that I bought was 1984's "Hysteria" which I had found used on vinyl at GB Records in Hays. Disappointed that I didn't recognize any of the songs on that album from radio, I sought out "Dare" next and was very happy. I still only knew the one song ("Don't You Want Me") but I fell in love with the album and from their collected all their other ones, up until the point when "Romantic" was released which was their first album that I bought upon release. All this is to say that, I never ended up buying the album on cassette until much later while living in LA. I bought it on CD when it was released in a 25th anniversary commemorative edition. The tape case actually got warped in my car, and once when I was parked at Amy's, her neighbor Deborah came to tell me she had seen it in my car and how she had loved it back in the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!