Adrienne's BBQ

Today was the big day of Adrienne's BBQ. Adrienne started planning it way back when we got our plane tickets and she was really excited to show off her house which she had bought recently and I hadn't ever seen yet.
She had to work in the morning, so mom and I went shopping at Hy-Vee to get the groceries and I got stuff to make my veggie burgers and Leland Palmers, a new drink that is like the Arnold Palmer but with alcohol, named after the character from Twin Peaks. The veggie burgers, which I've only made once before, are really complicated and involve a lot of prep work so I did all that at home before we went over to Adrienne's.
She invited a lot of her friends and co-workers and of course Ronnie, Lisa and Caitlyn came with mom, dad, Dylan and I. Her house is really cute! I'm so proud of my little sister and sometimes it's so hard to believe that she is now an attorney and owns her own home. With Brandon I don't think about it so much because we are so close in age that I don't even remember him being born or anything that happened before he was born, I've pretty much just always known him. But I distinctly remember mom being pregnant with Adrienne; remember a couple false alarms when they thought she was going to be born, and thinking what it would be like to have another baby sibling. And since she remained the baby of the family, it's always been easier to remember her a little girl rather than the intelligent and mature woman she is today. So it's nice to have moments like this when I see her for the person she is today and feel so proud of her.
Her backyard is huge and as soon as we got there, Royal, Maddie, and Rocco (her roommate's dog) all ran out to play while we got everything ready for the party. I wanted to make my Leland Palmers right away but we realized we forgot most the alcohol and lots of other stuff at Mom and Dad's in all our excitement to get over to Adrienne's. (We also had to stop on the way to buy the Limoncello for the Lelands since we couldn't find it at HyVee.) Mom and Dad went to get beer and wine while I made my first pitcher but then we realized we didn't have any ice. I called mom but they were already on the way back, so after they got back, Dylan and I went out to get ice and soda since no one had thought to get that either! It was funny how disorganized we really were.
Adrienne gave us a tour of the house which included a funky little attic that you have to access by pull down stairs in the garage. It was way too hot up there in the summer to hang out but it would be a cool little room when the weather is nice.
Guests started arriving around 7pm and quite a few of them brought their dogs with them, so at one point I think there were six dogs. Jacy and her husband brought their baby boy so that was cute too. Dad ended up doing the barbecuing and besides my veggie burgers there were regular burgers, hot dogs, and shrimp skewers that Adrienne had made, and lots of side dishes and deserts. It was a really fun time.
Mom, Dad, Ronnie, Lisa and Caitlyn all left to go back to Olathe for the night but Dylan and I stayed at Adrienne's and some of her friends hung out with us until fairly late and then we went to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 146
"Hold an Old Friend's Hand" by Tiffany, cassette album. This album was somewhat disappointing when it came out. The review in Rolling Stone was horrible (I think it was 1 star) which sucked even worse cause I sort of agreed with it, in terms of the songs. It sounded really rushed and scrapped together. It was obvious that the person putting it together was doing it from a business standpoint and not an artistic one. It's all over the place and doesn't seem to acknowledge anything that had happened in Tiffany's personal life since her meteoric rise to fame with her previous, debut album. The artwork was amazing, but the content couldn't match up to it. Incidentally, I loved the lead single "All This Time" which holds up even today, but why did they have to release a ballad first?

Comments

Scarlet said…
Good job on all the events, Devin. I a reading them backwards, but so glad to read all the events from your point of view. I loved every minute!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!