Grown Man Cries Video Shoot Day 1

I woke up at 6am and got right into the shower so I could start the day. After I got out, Dylan asked what time he had to get up; I told him I was going to go move Tiger's truck into the garage but stop and get donuts first so he could sleep a little more.
When I got back, he was already up and showering so I started getting everything put together to load into the truck, and then we made several trips down to the garage.
I met Rick and Melodie behind the Egyptian Theatre at 7am, having called Brandon on the way to make sure he was up (he was). Their friends James and Amalia met us there to help out. We realized that there was no way we could load the truck with all the paint and the background walls unless we first took out my drums and the PA; we were going to have to make more than one trip. So, we loaded up the cans of paint and then the custom made sprayers that Rick and Melodie had created in order to make the paint "rain" onto the band, and then the background walls - the first one, which was all white with just the black diamonds, and then the "after" walls which were splattered in paint and had the stencils pre-applied with the band logo (this will make sense later).
We drove down to Jefferson and West, south of the 10 freeway, where quite a few of the crew was already setting up, including Dylan with all the food and craft services supplies and the DP and his team getting the lights and stuff loaded in. The location was a metal shed warehouse that was converted into a studio; there was a big sliding door on the side where we were loading in at, and to the left was the kitchen area and an office, with a loft area above it; the rest of the warehouse was open and at the far and was a background wall with the curved bottom joining the floor. I thought we would be filming there, but it turned out we set up the background wall on the right side and filmed that way eventually. But, it took quite awhile to get everything set up. After Melodie and I went back to the Egyptian for the rest of the equipment, they were still just getting things set up. I had made breakfast burritos, so along with the donuts and the apples and bananas we brought, people were having breakfast and milling about getting things in order. Someone had to organize and open all the cans of paint and stir them, we had to lay down protective tarp on the walls and the floors, and hang the background walls.
We had planned to film the first shot at 10:00am but it took a little longer than expected to get everything up and running, and by the time it was noon everyone was ready for lunch so Dylan put out the sandwiches, potato salad, and mac and cheese I had made.
Finally, around 1pm they were ready for the band to set up, so we I put my drums where they told me to and we got into our formation. The first shot was of the paint cans with a tube running over them, and then blue paint starts to move through the tube and the camera follows that to the stage, then up to Robin and the rest of us. Then, a drop of blue paint falls on Robin's face. It took awhile to get that shot. Then, we left the stage so they could set up for the next part of the video, which is the part where we would actually be doused in paint!
They hung the two sprayer contraptions from the ceiling and we draped more tarp on all the walls to be safe. They put ladders up on both sides so that James and Amalia could use the sprayers filled with paint hooked up to the tube contraptions hanging above us. Finally, they called for the band and Rick said "CUE PLAYBACK" and the music started playing. Then, "ROLL CAMERA" and Quentin, the DP moved the camera in to the shot. Then, "ROLL PAINT" and all of a sudden, we were playing the song and blue paint diluted with cold water started falling from the sky onto us! I guess I should say onto Brandon, Robin and Ben, because where I was, hardly any paint was hitting me. They realized this so they yelled "Cut" and then had me move my drums forward. On the next take, I started really getting drenched with the blue paint water. I think we did like the whole song that time. Blue paint started to splatter on the background wall, which was the desired effect.
Next came orange paint, and we didn't have to do the whole song this time. From here on out, they had specific lines of the song that they wanted to cover with each color. After we filmed the orange, I realized that the paint that was splattering onto the wall behind us was much more pale than the paint on the pre-prepared "finished" wall, so I suggested to Melodie that between takes, I could splatter the wall with the paint which wasn't diluted by water and she agreed. So, I used my drumsticks and took the blue and orange paint cans and started splattering it on the wall. People started calling me "Jackson Pollock."
After orange was purple, or rather lavendar. By this time, Robin was getting really cold because the water had soaked his clothes and hair and there was a lot of downtime between colors while they mixed the next batch and would fill up the sprayers.
Purple was done and we moved on to Red and everyone joked that suddenly it looked like the set of "Dexter" because the blood red paint was going everywhere. We all looked very sinister covered in the red paint. The red tasted pretty bad too, but I think we all agreed that yellow, which was next, tasted the worst.
Finally we came to the last color, green, which was the one they had planned for the slow-motion shots. Unfortunately, I don't mean that we filmed it in slow-mo, we actually filmed it playing the song at 200% speed and then they slowed it down later. So, we actually were playing "Grown Man Cries" twice as fast as we usually do, which meant Robin had to sing along to chipmunk vocals on the playback and I had to pretend that I could play the drums at a speed that would be physically impossible for me.
At this point, Robin had to leave because he had kind of double booked himself and had to be in Pasadena by 7pm for a ball-room dancing fundraising event. So, we had to quickly finish his green shots and then he took a shower in the disgusting shower which only had cold water and he was on his way, but the rest of us had to stay and do our closeups in green fast motion, and then yellow. By this time, a lot of the people had gone home except for the main crew, and it was actually getting really cold and uncomfortable with all the paint that had been dumped on us. But, we got through it and when Rick finally said it was a wrap, we all cheered.
Brandon and Ben both took showers but I could not force myself to get into that gross shower with no hot water so I just took off my outer shirt, put on different pants, flip flops, and a rain poncho and let the paint dry on myself while I helped clean up.
We hung out briefly afterward and had a beer and a smoke and then Brandon, Ben and I went our separate ways.
At home, Dylan and Ben were there and they got a kick out of my 'look.' It was so nice to finally get in the shower, but it took a good 30 minutes or so and really hot water to get the bulk of the paint off, which I still didn't really get all of it off, and pretty much ruined my loofa.
I ordered some Thai food and we were going to watch "The Great Race" but after we ate the food, I fell asleep on the floor by the couch so Dylan woke me up and had me go to bed.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 57
Plain red t-shirt, not really sure why I had this. I think I was going to use it with an iron-on but I never did so I am getting rid of it.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I was so excited reading this blog, Devin...you all put so much work and effort into the day that the video just has to be amazing and surreal! Thanks for taking the time to explain it so well!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!