Silver Fox

We slept in and headed back over to the Whore House after we finally got around. We didn't even shower or anything cause I wanted to get over there in time for brunch, since we were using money from the show to pay for the food and drinks. Our original plan had been to lounge by the pool with mimosa's all day, but it ended up being too cold for the pool, which also wasn't full of water at the moment. But, AJ did cook an amazing brunch with eggs, sausage, potatoes and pancakes and we had I think 9 bottles of champagne! I had to lay down and then went into the living room and caught the end of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," which was a van movie. A "van movie" is one of the small number of movies from the 80's that my family had on VHS and kept in our blue van when I was in junior high. We watched these movies again and again on long car trips. Anyway, after that a bunch of us went downtown together to go antiquing. There are a couple big antique stores right next to each other, just across the street from the park where we played at for Bakersfield Pride the year before last. My favorite things were this awesome rectangular grand piano, and a big Coors keytar lighted sign, but of course I didn't buy anything. In between the two antique shops, we stopped at The Silver Fox, which was the bar we would be playing at tonight, for a quick drink. There was some girl there that seemed shocked that both Johnny and I had our fingernails painted. Her boyfriend, this older guy, avoided looking at us.
We went back to the whore house and sat around until Dylan and I decided we wanted to shower and freshen up for the show that night, and figured that pretty soon the whore house would be very chaotic what with one bathroom and 7+ people trying to get ready.
We went to Johnny's and got ready. We made the unfortunate discovery that the air mattress no longer held air because it was all deflated when we walked in the bedroom. Dylan had accidentally caught it on a rose bush when he was bringing it in and it had been too late to blow it up last night because the pump is so loud so that's why we didn't know until now.
Having showered and gotten dressed and made up, we cruised back over to the whore house and picked up the rest of my equipment. While we were there, Laura had lost her keys and we all tore the house apart trying to find them, to no avail. It was quite the scene. Finally, Laura called AAA and they said they would come unlock the car; she had a spare key in the car. That taken care of, we left for the Silver Fox, with Heather and Shantell right behind us. Three Chord Whore was playing first and then we would play after them. It was Billie Joe's birthday party and the bar was already packed by the time we got there which was before 10.
The drinks were VERY cheap and VERY strong! Dylan warned me to be careful but I wanted to party and now that we have the full live band, I don't feel like so much is riding on my shoulders when we perform.
Three Chord Whore went on sometime after 11 and they played a killer set! They have a good following in Bakersfield and tons of people were there to rock out to them. I made my way up to the front of the crowd for the last few songs and had a great time rocking out.
They finished and since the bar was so tiny, we had to wait for them to get their stuff out before we could load in. By this time I was pretty drunk and so it was a little more complicated than usual for me to set up. Unfortunately, earlier at the whore house I had gotten on some kick to minimize what I was bringing and had only brought exactly what I thought I needed, having decided that since I was only using my keyboard I didn't need to bring the mixer and could just plug the keyboard directly into the power amp. Also, I only brought one cable since I only brought one speaker. When I powered up and did a line check, it was really, really quiet and I couldn't even hear the left hand notes. I suddenly felt so stupid. I tried a few different things, and finally used two cable to plug the keyboard into the power amp, which got me some volume but not really enough. I thought about getting one of the other speakers out of Amy's car but realized that I had left the other cable at home. On top of that, my microphone level was really low. I felt like I didn't even need to be on stage because no one could hear anything I was doing, but I could actually hear the keyboard once in awhile and since the speaker was in front of me, I could only assume that it was louder in the audience than it was for me. We didn't have nearly the crowd that Three Chord Whore did, but those that were there really got into us which was great. The set was very high energy and we ended up playing almost all the same songs we had played in the two sets the night before. We did cut Apple Falls and we had left off a few at the end, but when we finished, everyone started yelling "Encore! Encore!" so we decided to do another one. At this point I was pretty trashed so I don't remember which one we did, but I think it was Legalese. We finished that and people still wanted us to do one more song, so I think we closed with either Vampire or Mustache Rides.
I think it was around 1am when we finished and loaded everything back out into the cars. Marc said we sounded really good again, so I guess it wasn't that big of a deal that I didn't bring the mixer.
We hung out in the bar for awhile and then all went back to the whore house, but everyone was really tired so I only had one beer there and then Dylan and I went with Johnny back to his place to sleep.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 44
Fake black and white roses (2 each). I had gotten these for the 2008 Shitting Glitter promo photo shoot with Von, which unfortunately was about 2 months before the big break up, so I ended up with a lot of left over prints of these shots. I kept these roses out in a vase for awhile but then stuck them up in one of the kitchen closets, and I kept meaning to get rid of them but forgot about it until now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!